KTM’S Granquist and Karlsson claim podiums in Cherrabah AORC challenge

Consistency was key for KTM-backed racers Stefan Granquist and Emelie Karlsson in Cherrabah’s challenging opening rounds of the 2022 Australian Off-Road Championship (AORC), each claiming double podium results in class.

The Sprint circuits endured in Queensland were packed with mud, holes and rocky sections, as well as a share of dusty ridgelines, but Granquist and Karlsson pushed to the bitter end in their respective categories.

Riding the powerful KTM 500 EXC-F in E3, Granquist managed to finish both rounds in an encouraging third position and inside the top 10 overall, setting a solid foundation for the rest of the 12-round off-road season.

Meanwhile, Karlsson and her KTM 350 EXC-F battled with the tricky conditions throughout both days in the Women’s division to finish the weekend with a hard-fought third-place result on day one, before improving to the runner-up result on Sunday.

This weekend’s rounds of the AORC featured back-to-back Sprint races around two technical courses, before the coming rounds in Mackay, QLD, from 8-9 April will feature Enduro formats.

Stefan Granquist: “It was a really tough opening weekend for the championship and it felt like a proper enduro – 90 percent of the track was great, but the other 10 percent were nasty bog-holes that were a real challenge. Saturday was a tough one, but we still managed a podium result in class and got stronger as the day went on, before Sunday was a bit more consistent and I was really happy to get through the day unscathed. Although I’d like to be further up the outright order, I’m happy to take two podium results from a difficult weekend of racing!”

Emelie Karlsson: “Saturday was a really difficult day that was more about surviving and it involved a lot of luck as to whether your lines through the bog-holes were the right ones! I got stuck a few times, including one time where it took three people to pull my bike out of the mud, and it was hard to come back from that. Sunday was a lot smoother and, although I still got bogged twice, I felt like I was able to get through without too many dramas and I was pleased to improve one position into second to end the weekend. I’m really looking forward putting these rounds behind us and working on a few areas that I know I can improve on before Mackay next month.”

2022 Australian Off-Road Championship – Cherrabah, QLD

Round one results:
E3
1. Andy Wilksch (Husqvarna)
2. Jonte Reynders (Sherco)
3. Stefan Granquist (KTM)
4. Broc Grabham (KTM)
5. Hayden Keeley (KTM)

EW
1. Jessica Gardiner (Yamaha)
2. Ebony Nielsen (KTM)
3. Emelie Karlsson (KTM)
4. Julie Denyer (KTM)
5. Charlotte Gamble (Sherco)

Round two results:
E3
1. Andy Wilksch (Husqvarna)
2. Jonte Reynders (Sherco)
3. Stefan Granquist (KTM)
4. Broc Grabham (KTM)
5. Tom McCormack (KTM)

EW
1. Jessica Gardiner (Yamaha)
2. Emelie Karlsson (KTM)
3. Ebony Nielsen (KTM)
4. Julie Denyer (KTM)
5. Charlotte Gamble (Sherco)

Join the discussion below in the Speedcafe.com comments section

Please note: Speedcafe.com reserves the right to remove any comment that does not follow the comment policy. For support, contact [email protected]