Rally Portugal: brought to life for you by Carlos Sainz
- Two-time World Champion joins the crack Red Bull TV team
- Thrilling, new-look WRC battle is rejoined for Iberian classic
- Kris Meeke won in 2016 – will he do it again this weekend?
- Can Sébastien Ogier cling onto his championship lead?
- Catch all the action for free on Red Bull TV
Red Bull TV features one of its most legendary guest reporters yet, as two-time World Champion Carlos Sainz becomes your guide to the sixth round of the series from May 18-21.
Not only is Rally Portugal the event where Carlos made his WRC debut 30 years ago, winning his very first stage and igniting a stellar career, but it’s also an event where he has stood on the top step of the podium twice: putting him in a unique position to talk about its varied challenges. Namely: technical gravel roads, changeable weather, soft surfaces, and rocks that can catch drivers out in just a fraction of a second. All factors that combine to make Rally Portugal a true classic.
Carlos, known to many as simply ‘The King’, was a star in the golden era of rallying alongside legends such as Colin McRae and Sebastien Loeb, having driven for all the top teams including Toyota, Ford and Citroen. And the Spaniard is still competing now, forming an integral part of Peugeot’s ‘Dream Team’ on the epic Dakar Rally, alongside his former sparring partner Sebastien Loeb, Dakar record-holder Stephane Peterhansel, and another former Red Bull TV guest reporter: Cyril Despres.
“I’m really looking forward to going back to Rally Portugal,” says Carlos. “I think we’re going to have a lot of fun together with Red Bull TV host Mike Chen and the rest of the team, and hopefully I’ll be able to show you a few special things as well.”
To follow Rally Portugal with a true sporting legend, catch the highlights show every day of the rally on Red Bull TV, as well as the live show on Saturday: with all the action plus some unique features.
Once again, it’s going to be tight at the top: Hyundai’s Thierry Neuville is chasing a hat-trick of wins, M-Sport’s Sebastien Ogier is hanging on to a reduced championship lead, Citroen is eager to prove that they are back in the game – remember Kris Meeke won in Portugal last year – and Toyota will fight for a first win on gravel. Anything can happen, so grab your pace notes and join us!
Watch Red Bull TV next week, with a mixture of live and highlights programmes from Portugal, to catch all the action. One thing’s for sure: it’s going to be spectacular.
- All Rally Portugal programmes will be available to watch on Red Bull TV.
- Friday Highlight Show: Friday 19 May from 10:00pm.
- Live Coverage: Saturday 20 May at 2:50pm.
- Saturday Highlight Show: Saturday 20 May from 10:00pm.
- Event Highlight Show: Sunday 21 May from 10:00pm.
- Two-time WRC World Champion Carlos Sainz from Spain is RBTV guest reporter in Portugal.
- Press material available royalty-free for editorial use on www.redbullcontentpool.com/redbulltv
- Action images will be available on www.redbullcontentpool.com/fiawrc from 18 May.