Announcing new and local talent in the Perth Speed Fest line up
MEDIA RELEASE: Joining the impressive list of motorsport talent taking part in Perth Speed Fest is World Rally driver Alister McRae, 500cc Motorcycle hero Daryl Beattie, Perth teenager and V8 Supercar driver Alex Rullo and Asia Pacific Rally driver Dean Herridge.
They join Formula One star Daniel Ricciardo, Australia’s only living F1 champion Alan Jones, the only Australian on the MotoGP grid Jack Miller, reigning Australasian Superbike champion Wayne Maxwell, V8 Supercar drivers and brothers Will and Alex Davison, V8 ute racer James Brock, motorsport broadcaster Greg Rust and V8 pit lane reporter Riana Crehan.
Alex Rullo, now 15, is a V8 Supercar superstar-in-the-making and in June, became the youngest ever driver to win a national Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS) circuit race when he crossed the line at Winton, at just 14 years of age.
The Year 10 Trinity College student recently claimed the title of the 2015 Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series Runner-up and Rookie of the Year.
“I feel really honoured to have been invited to be a part of the 2015 Perth Speed Fest and to have my name in the driver line-up next to some of my idols,” Rullo said.
“I’m looking forward to meeting Daniel Ricciardo – he’s a great ambassador for Australian Motorsport and also catching up with Alister McRae, who originally taught me car control.”
Experienced rally driver and off road racer Alister McRae’s latest adventure was a brief foray in the now abandoned national series of the Extreme Rallycross, which he explained could be compared to 20Twenty Cricket as opposed to Test Matches.
The McRae name has been synonymous with rallying around the world for three decades with father Jimmy and sons Colin and Alister having won just about every title there is to win between them.
McRae has raced in all manner of events; on a bike in off-road endurance event the Australasian Safari, he won the 2011 Asia Pacific Rally Championship, and has raced the clock in 80 World Rally Championship events across the globe.
Another rally ace joins the Perth Speed Fest team, Dean Herridge, who has driven in 54 international rally events, including 13 times in Rally Australia.
“My most memorable event was the 2006 Rally Australia where I finished on the podium in the Production WRC class and in eighth position outright – those were great days,” Herridge said.
“I’m looking forward to getting on the twin dirt track at Perth Speed Fest – it’ll be like the good old days of Rally Australia’s Super Special Stage.”
On two wheels, Daryl Beattie is one of Australia’s most loved motorsport heroes. A six-year competitor in the 500cc World Championship, Beattie’s best was in 1995 where he was leading the championship, then despite breaking a collarbone, finished the season runner up.
Beattie’s relaxed and modest manner made him popular on and off the track. Since retiring in 1997 after a number of serious injuries, he has retained his status as being a household name and has been an integral part of Network Ten’s motorsport team for the past 16 years.
Beattie will be on track at Perth Speed Fest riding a CBR1100XX Honda Blackbird.
Perth Speed Fest Event Director Greg McNeil said that besides the exceptional line up of motorsport talent, young and local drivers and riders will be on track.
“Providing a platform for young and local drivers to perform in front of a crowd is part of our event strategy,” McNeil said.
“And, importantly, supporting women in motorsport by showcasing some of our female racers. I tell you, these girls don’t hold back and are just as quick as the boys in their categories.
“Needless to say, they are all thrilled to be alongside names like Ricciardo, Jones, Miller, Davison, Maxwell, McRae and Beattie,” Mr McNeil said.
Girl racers include speedway pocket rocket 21-year-old Laura Byrnes and Australia’s fastest woman the first female to obtain an Australian jet dragster license, 20-year-old Rhiannon Allison.
A local quickly making a name for himself is former world-record holder for fastest quarter mile in a top alcohol funny car, drag racer Craig Glassby.
Glassby is one of the drivers that will go head to head against Ricciardo at Perth Speed Fest. Ricciardo, in Red Bull Racing’s RB7 2011 world championship winning F1 car, will put the F1 car through its paces with laps of the track before lining up against other cars three times throughout the day in a spectacle set to thrill fans.
Perth Speed Fest will be held on 13 December at Perth Motorplex and consist of 60 separate events showcasing more than 25 disciplines of motorsport on five customised track layouts.
For a schedule of events, more on each of the motorsport stars, maps, information, and tickets, visit www.perthspeedfest.com.
Perth Speed Fest will be held on Sunday 13 December 2015 at the Perth Motorplex.
- Motorsport Stars confirmed:
- Daniel Ricciardo – Formula 1 driver with Red Bull Racing
- Alan Jones – Australia’s only living Formula 1 World Champion
- Wayne Maxwell – Australian Superbike
- Jack Miller – MotoGP
- Will Davison – V8 Supercars
- Alex Davison – V8 Supercars
- Alex Rullo – V8 Supercars
- Alister McRae – WRC rally
- Dean Herridge – Asia Pacific rally
- James Brock – V8 Utes
- Riana Crehen – V8 Supercars pit lane reporter
- Daryl Beattie – 500cc World Championship and motorsport commentator
- Greg Rust – Motorsport commentator
- The Pits – VIP access to the hub of the event. Get up close and personal with your favourite drivers, crews, cars and grid girls. Your opportunity to see the race rigs, watch crews at work, and participate in the wheel-change challenge.
- The Dirt – High horsepower sideways action featuring vintage and modern rally cars, speedway, quads, buggies, side-by-sides and bikes.
- The Tarmac – Witness Formula 1 star Daniel Ricciardo in the Red Bull Racing RB7, the 2011 world-championship winning F1 car, putting the car through its paces before lining up to go head to head against top cars in the ultimate test of speed. The Motor Show vehicles will also parade demonstration laps in their eras.
- Extreme Tarmac – Running at selected times during the day, the Extreme Tarmac will highlight the skills of a specialised group of drivers in the ultimate sideways challenge. A variety of cars including highly modified rally, drift and tarmac machines will be pushed to their limits as they strive for the perfect run.
- Motocross – High-octane, gravity-defying daredevil stunts, tricks and backflips are the order of the day when the best Motocross riders jump and rev their way around the centre of the Motorplex Speedway.
- Motor Show – A showcase of historic vehicles and bikes in their eras from pre-1940s through to now. An opportunity for enthusiasts to proudly present their motors, providing the public with an opportunity to check out some seriously stunning wheels and get a great insight into local motoring history. This isn’t just a static show and shine – watch these impressive wheels motor along in a parade lap on The Tarmac.
- Gary Miocevich Rare and Dangerous Pavilion – named after esteemed drag racer and the great man who designed Perth Motorplex, come and see unique, impressive, purpose-built vehicles including Thunder Down Under Jet Truck, the ‘Back to the Future’ De Lorean and the Mad Max 1974 Ford XB coup. An auction featuring 250 pieces of motoring art and motorsport memorabilia will be on sale for the first time.
- VIP Suites – Your own exclusive suite for up to 20 people overlooking the Dirt or the Tarmac with the best viewing, unlimited access to the Perth Speed Fest Pit, mingle with the who’s who of motorsport, premium selection of food, drinks and VIP parking. Click here for more
- The VIP Marquees – Join like-minded motoring VIPs in a stunning communal marquee overlooking the Dirt or the Tarmac with the great viewing, unlimited access to the Perth Speed Fest Pit, mingle with the who’s who of motorsport, premium selection of food, drinks and VIP parking. More information here.
- VIP Gala Dinner – 6.30pm, Saturday 12 December at the State Reception Centre at Fraser’s Kings Park. Western Australia’s motoring night of nights of fast cars and super stars – listen to stories recounted by the legends of motorsport including Daniel Ricciardo, Alan Jones, Jack Miller, and Wayne Maxwell. Your MC for the night is motorsport broadcaster Greg Rust. For more information click here
8.30am – Ticket sales open
9.00am – Gates open
9.30am – First event – click here for the event schedule
4.30pm – Last event
5.00pm – Gates close
General Admission: $99 plus booking fee (includes GST)
Child (15 and under): $65 plus booking fee (includes GST)
Children under 5: Free
Family Pass: $247 general admission for 2 adults & up to 3 children +bf
VIP Marquee: $385 plus booking fee (includes GST)
VIP Gala Dinner: $550 plus booking fee (includes GST)