F1 to turn down Bahrain vaccine offer
By Mat Coch
Monday 1st March, 2021 - 10:09am
Formula 1 is set to turn down an offer from the Kingdom of Bahrain to have its staff vaccinated for COVID.
An offer from the Kingdom was extended to personnel attending the pre-season test, and season opening Bahrain Grand Prix.
The organising body has confirmed that it will not take up the offer, however, that does not mean that teams will decide likewise.
“As a UK based organisation (Formula 1) has no plans to be vaccinated as a travelling group ahead of the already established rollout of vaccines through the health system in the UK,” a spokesperson for F1 said.
F1 boss, Stefano Domenicali, has previously stated that the sport would not queue jump to have personnel vaccinated early.
The 2021 Formula 1 season is set to open in Bahrain, starting with pre-season testing on March 12-14 and the opening round of the championship on March 26-28.
That would see personnel in the Kingdom long enough to receive two doses of the vaccine; one on arrival, and a second 21 days later.
“Due to the timescale of this year’s F1 event, including testing, the vast majority of participants will be present in Bahrain for a three-week period ahead of the race,” a statement from the Bahrain International Circuit said.
“This, in turn, allows a unique opportunity to provide additional protection for those who wish to take up the opportunity in the form of vaccination (Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine).”