LATEST

Team 18 takes delivery of second ZB Commodore

Mat Coch

By

Friday 13th December, 2019 - 12:09pm

Share:

Team 18 has taken delivery of its second car pic: Charlie Schwerkolt Instagram

Team 18 is working to prepare its second Holden ZB Commodore after taking delivery of Shane van Gisbergen’s 2019 car after the Coates Hire Newcastle 500.

The squad will expand to a two car operation following team owner Charlie Schwerkolt’s purchase of a second Racing Entitlements Contract in October.

Schwerkolt took to social media to show off his latest acquisition, which has since been stripped in preparation of a full rebuild.

“We received the car about a week after Newcastle, and it’s now in a stripped form,” Schwerkolt told Speedcafe.com.

“All the signage is stripped and all the components are getting lifed and everything is getting ready to race for the first test at Tailem Bend.

“There’s a lot of work involved of course.

“The car’s in good condition of course as we received it, but there’s an enormous amount of work to be done to make sure it’s reliable and race fit.

“There will be a full crew on, the boys have stripped the thing now and it’ll be starting to go back together next year.”

Scott Pye will join the team for 2020 having parted ways with Walkinshaw Andretti United, with confirmation of his arrival coming last month.

The team will formally unveil the car early next year, with Schwerkolt revealing a number has already been allocated by Supercars.

“We have a number allocated and signed off by Supercars but should be revealed early in February when we have our launch of the new naming rights sponsor of the team,” Schwerkolt explained.

The delivery of the new car continues the close relationship with Triple Eight Race Engineering, with Schwerkolt having purchased to original homologation car for use by Mark Winterbottom in 2019.

“Having them both side by side is just a natural progression, like we did with the whole season with the current Car 18, just building it up the whole way through,” said Schwerkolt.

“Business usual, but just double the amount of work.

“We’ve got to double up on spares, so that’s getting well in place at the moment.

“It’s a dream, and a progression to Team 18 to go to two cars, so extremely exciting. Really pumped.”

Last week it was announced Steve Richards would step out of a co-driver role and take on a relationship management position within the Team 18 organisation.

An official pre-season test is slated for February 18 at The Bend Motorsport, three days before the season kicks off at the Superloop Adelaide 500.

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Comments require approval before being published. Speedcafe.com reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic.

Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!