LATEST:

Pye joins Team 18 for 2020

Tom Howard

By

Thursday 7th November, 2019 - 4:36pm

Share:

Charlie Schwerkolt (left) and Scott Pye (right)

Team 18 has confirmed that Scott Pye will join its expanded two car Supercars Championship operation for next season.

The South Australian had been tipped to join the Melbourne outfit which has recently acquired a second Racing Entitlements Contract from Kelly Racing.

Pye confirmed his departure from Walkinshaw Andretti United this week in a move that sees the 29-year-old leave the Clayton Holden squad after three seasons, that included a maiden race win and two Bathurst 1000 second place finishes.

Confirmation Pye will join Team 18 will see him partner with 2015 Supercars champion Mark Winterbottom to create a strong two driver line-up for Charlie Schwerkolt’s team.

“It’s a massive step to expand Team 18 to a two car operation next year and I think Scott is the right person to get the job done for all our partners and crew at Team 18,” said Schwerkolt.

“Scott’s ability on-track is on the way up in the prime of his career and I’m confident the best is yet to come.

“He will make a great teammate for Frosty and we’re really excited to have him join the team in 2020 and beyond.”

Pye is looking forward to the new challenge that will see him pilot a Triple Eight built Holden ZB Commodore, for which a major sponsor has not yet been named, next season.

“I am really excited to be joining Team 18 in 2020, they’re a young team but at the same time they have already had a taste of success, and it’s refreshing to see what they have been able to achieve so far,” said Pye.

“I was immediately excited by the opportunity and I could see it would be a good fit for me.

“I am looking forward to working alongside Charlie, Mark and the rest of the team, to help them grow and move us to the front of the grid.

“Charlie’s intentions are very clear, and he is extremely motivated, so it will be great to be part of the team working together for one goal.”

The announcement means Walkinshaw Andretti United will feature an all new two driver line-up for next year which is expected to be headed up by current Tickford Racing driver Chaz Mostert.

A number of names remain in the mix for the second seat including Todd Hazelwood, Bryce Fullwood and Richie Stanaway, who have both been linked the to the seat.

Outside of WAU, Tickford is yet to officially confirm its line up although it is thought Tekno Autosports’ Jack Le Brocq will replace Mostert, with the team offering a new deal to Lee Holdsworth.

Matt Stone Racing is yet to reveal its 2020 driver plans but Speedcafe.com understands Garry Jacobson and Tim Slade have been linked to the seats.

Meanwhile, the Sydney based team is also yet to announce its second driver alongside James Courtney with Will Brown touted among the options.

Brad Jones Racing is another to confirm its line-up with Jack Smith expected to be part of a four car operation.

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Speedcafe.com reserves the right to remove comments that are off-topic, abusive and ban users who do not follow the comment policy. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

We encourage users to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!