LATEST:

Pye announces departure from WAU

Daniel Herrero

By

Wednesday 6th November, 2019 - 4:50pm

Share:

Scott Pye

Scott Pye has confirmed that he will leave Walkinshaw Andretti United at the end of the current Supercars Championship season.

Pye is set to leave the Clayton team after three years for “a new opportunity that is yet to be disclosed”, according to a statement released today.

The 29-year-old bagged his first Supercars Championship race win with WAU, in challenging conditions at Albert Park last year, and also finished second in the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 in 2017 and 2018.

“I have really enjoyed my time at WAU and have developed some really close relationships with the crew, so the decision to leave is one I have not taken lightly,” said Pye.

“Though we would have liked more, we have shared some great success together.

“I am excited by the new opportunity in front of me, and I’d like to wish WAU all the best for the future and look forward to racing against them next season and beyond.”

WAU co-owner Ryan Walkinshaw has thanked Pye for his efforts for the team, including becoming its first race winner in its current guise.

“Scott has been a great member of this team for the last three seasons,” said Walkinshaw in a team statement issued shortly after Pye’s.

“I personally will never forget that win around Albert Park as the sun set, and I’m sure many others won’t either.

“It was great to share his first win with him, and our first as Walkinshaw Andretti United. We wish him all the best in the future.

“As for our 2020 driver line up, the wait is nearly over, it won’t be long now until we can share the exciting news.”

The announcement means that WAU will start 2020 with an all-new driver line-up, given James Courtney is on his way to Tekno Autosports in conjunction with its move to Sydney.

Chaz Mostert has been strongly linked to the former factory Holden team, which now has two seats to fill.

Pye is currently 14th in the championship but arrives at this weekend’s Penrite Oil Sandown 500, where he will combine with co-driver Warren Luff, off the back of four straight top 10 finishes including a fourth in Race 27 on the Gold Coast.

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Speedcafe.com reserves the right to remove comments that are off-topic, abusive and ban users who do not follow the comment policy. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

We encourage users to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!