F1 still ‘engaged’ with Miami despite new planning challenges
Thursday 31st October, 2019 - 10:02am
Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey says that the championship is still ‘engaged’ with plans for a Miami street race despite new planning challenges which threaten the event.
However, Miami-Dade County commissioners passed two significant resolutions at a public meeting earlier this week.
One necessitates another public hearing before the event can be approved, and another allows commissioners to prohibit road closures for the event.
The latter could impact on the current circuit proposal, which falls largely within the car park of the Dolphins’ Hard Rock Stadium but still incorporates some public streets.
Speaking about the setbacks in a Formula 1 Group investor meeting, Carey said, “Miami, we are still engaged.
“There are clear hurdles to get over, we have to address; we had a vote yesterday that created new issues for us to try and address.
“I wasn’t in Miami, so I don’t have the details as what are the steps from here to there, but we do have hurdles to overcome now to put the race in Miami, but that is ongoing.”
Former county commissioner Betty T Ferguson had led the pushback from a group of residents against the F1 grand prix in the meeting, claiming that it would have “deadly effects” on those who live and study nearby.
Miami Gardens Mayor Oliver Gilbert stated at the meeting, “We forget that there’s a whole community of people who will be impacted by this.
“I’m not against events at the stadium, but let’s be clear – all events are not equal and all events are not welcome.”
Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez, however, supports the grand prix and said, “It’s a world class event, like having a Super Bowl here in Miami Dade County every year.”
Miami Gardens is a city within the Miami-Dade County, and Mayor Gimenez does have a power of veto which could pave the way for the event.