Supercars expecting busy REC deadline day
By Tom Howard
Friday 18th October, 2019 - 6:00am
Supercars is anticipating a busy Racing Entitlements Contract market as teams prepares to declare their 2020 plans today.
Teams are required to lodge entries for next season before the championship’s imposed deadline at 1700 AEDT this evening.
Meanwhile, the entry that MSR had leased for the last two seasons is understood to have been acquired by the family of Super2 driver Jack Smith, with that entry expected to be heading to Brad Jones Racing, which will expand to four cars.
The busy market has left Supercars boss Sean Seamer cautious to put a number on the size of the 2020 Supercars grid.
“We’re not going to know where it’s at until one minute past five on the 18th of October, which is the entry deadline, to be perfectly honest with you, because there’s always going to be a lot of talk and speculation, but it’s just that (speculation), until you see the paperwork,” said Seamer at the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.
“We’re obviously buoyed by an increased interest around RECs versus this time a year ago.
“But I can’t make any decisions as to what things are going to look like.”
Seamer has confirmed today’s deadline is not the ultimate cut-off for 2020 entries.
There will be a process for teams or interested parties wishing to enter the 2020 championship, who have been unable to obtain a REC, to purchase an entry handed back to Supercars.
MSR has already told Speedcafe.com it may take up this procedure if it cannot secure a second REC for a possible expansion to two cars.
“For example, if we had 24 entries next week, and interested parties had been unable to obtain a REC, then we will consider a process post that,” stated Seamer.
Speedcafe.com understands the number of RECs entered for next year will range from 22 to 26 entries.