Hulkenberg has ‘nothing concrete’ among contract talks
Dumped Renault driver Nico Hulkenberg has admitted he has ‘nothing concrete’ lined up for the 2020 Formula 1 season despite ongoing talks with other teams.
The 32-year-old has been linked with a move to Haas for next season, with Romain Grosjean tipped as heading to Formula E.
However, despite the speculation and ongoing discussions, Hulkenberg has conceded he’s not yet got a new deal locked away.
“Not concrete yet but there are definitely obviously talks going on,” he said.
“I think it will still be a while. Like I said last week, the situation is what it is now, but it needs to be the right deal with a good sporting perspective.
“I’m in no urgency or hurry to sign anything. I think there are options out there.”
Hulkenberg has been with Renault since the start of the 2017 season where’s he’s proved a solid points scorer for the squad.
In his 169 career starts he’s famously never stood on the podium, his best result a handful of fourth place finishes.
He recorded an eighth place finish last time out in Belgium, having avoided the first corner melee that compromised Ricciardo’s race, to take his season’s tally on to 21 points, just one less than his Australian counterpart.
“It was a tricky weekend (in Spa) but quite rewarding at the end, getting four points back on the board, that was quite positive,” he said.
“We’ll try to take this momentum here (in Monza). Obviously it’s a new weekend, new approach. We’ll see how the car performs here but no reason to be sceptical about it.
“We’ll just be pushing and working hard, and for me, in terms of my mind-set, I just want to get the maximum out of it every weekend.”
Practice for the Italian Grand Prix begins at 1900 AEST on Friday night, followed by a second 90 minute session starting at 2300.