Repsol Honda has confirmed that Jorge Lorenzo will return at this weekend’s British MotoGP after a four-race injury layoff.
The three-time premier class world champion crashed heavily in Friday practice at the Dutch TT and fractured two vertebrae, ruling him out of that race and the German MotoGP before the summer break.
He remained sidelined after the break when MotoGP raced in the Czech Republic and Austria but will ride again at Silverstone.
“It is very good to be back with the Repsol Honda Team, it has been a long time since Assen,” said Lorenzo.
“I would have liked to have been back sooner, but the nature of the injury meant I had to take my time.
“While away from the track, I have been working hard to be as ready as possible for Silverstone but I know it will take some time to get back up to speed.
“I am pleased and ready to be back with the team so we can keep improving and get the results we know we can achieve.”
While the Spaniard will return at Silverstone, fellow Mallorcan Joan Mir has been ruled out again.
He had been hopeful of competing this weekend but will instead be replaced by Suzuki test rider Sylvain Guintoli.
“In the end I am not able to be in Silverstone for the next race and it is a real pity, but that’s how things are, and the first priority has to be my health,” said Mir.
“After the accident I spent several weeks resting, first in the hospital and then at home.
“I have started to walk, but after the tests it seems that I am still not 100 percent, so the doctors have determined that it is better to continue with my rehabilitation.”
Guintoli, along with a test rider from each of the other five manufacturers, has spent the past two days cutting laps at Finland’s new KymiRing circuit ahead of its debut on the MotoGP calendar next year.
Practice at Silverstone kicks off on Friday night (AEST), with qualifying from the later time of 2310 on Saturday.