LATEST

Mostert-Tickford talks ongoing amid growing WAU speculation

Tom Howard

Wednesday 3rd July, 2019 - 6:00am

Share:

Chaz Mostert with engineer Adam De Borre

Tickford Racing’s Tim Edwards is aware of the speculation surrounding Chaz Mostert, who has been linked to a move to Walkinshaw Andretti United, but maintains talks are ongoing with his out of contract driver. 

Mostert remains the key player in the Supercars silly season, attracting interest from both within the Supercars paddock and overseas.

The Supercheap Auto-backed driver has been heavily linked to a drive at Shell V-Power Racing although it has been hinted that the Ford team could be set to field an unchanged driver line-up of Scott McLaughlin and Fabian Coulthard for 2020.

However, it now appears that Walkinshaw Andretti United (WAU) could be a possible destination with Speedcafe.com sources suggesting a move could be close.

The Holden squad is understood to be interested in signing the 2014 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 winner while both of its current drivers James Courtney and Scott Pye are also out of contract.

Edwards has told Speedcafe.com that his team is still working through the process of securing its 2020 driver line-up with discussions continuing with Mostert. 

It is understood that the squad has options on Cameron Waters and Lee Holdsworth, while Will Davison is set to remain in the 23Red Racing entry.

“Yeah absolutely,” the Tickford team principal, who will be absent from this weekend’s Watpac Townsville 400, told Speedcafe.com when asked if talks were continuing with Mostert.

“It is just a work in progress,” added Edwards regarding the make-up of his team for next year.

“We are just working through a process and when we have got something to say we will say it. 

“Two weeks ago everybody was speculating that he (Mostert) was going to DJR Team Penske and now all of sudden it is somewhere else.

“Yeah of course,” said Edwards when quizzed if he was aware of the interest Mostert would be attracting from other teams.

“If I was working for one of those other teams, that is just what we do, you always want to get the right people in the car and the right engineers, mechanics and team manager. 

“That is the game we are play in. This sport is won by people they are the most important asset in the business and the driver is the headline figure in there.”      

A move to the Clayton-based WAU would be a big call for Mostert, who has stated that a championship winning car is a key element for his next step in Supercars.

WAU has so far been unable to build on a promising 2018 campaign and has gone backwards this season, sitting seventh in the teams’ standings.

However, the team co-owned by Ryan Walkinshaw, McLaren F1 boss Zak Brown and Andretti Autosports has plenty of investment behind it and intent to haul the squad to the front of the grid in the future, which could tempt Mostert.

Mostert has admitted to being ‘in a pickle’ over his options for 2020 which also include staying at Tickford Racing, which he joined in 2011, and a possible GT option overseas.

The 27-year-old has indicated that his future will become clearer in the next couple of months while Tickford is keen to have its 2020 plans secured sooner rather than later.

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Comments require approval before being published. Speedcafe.com reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic.

Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!