LATEST

Triple Eight unfazed by twin-spring ban

Tom Howard

Thursday 20th December, 2018 - 1:01pm

Share:

Triple Eight will look forward to linear spring engineering challenge next year

Triple Eight is unfazed by the move to ban twin-spring dampers for next season despite having been one of the key exponents of the device in recent seasons.

Supercars confirmed earlier this week that the use of the complex twin-spring suspension systems will be banned from next season as part of a wide ranging move to cut costs.

The decision to move to a linear spring, used in Super2 since 2012, has received universal approval from the teams, according to championship boss Sean Seamer, and was signed off by the Supercars Commission last week.

Triple Eight is among a group of teams that has pioneered the use of the system and invested resources in refining the twin-spring dampers, which allows teams to run different spring rates for corner entry and exit to improve car handling.

Team boss Roland Dane says his squad is prepared for the technical rule change and is ready to embrace the new engineering challenge.

“We’re pretty relaxed about it,” Dane, who also voiced his opinion on Supercars’ costs cutting move this week, told Speedcafe.com.

“We didn’t really have a very strong opinion about it either way.

“We were prepared, to be honest, to go with what the majority thinking was.

“If people thought they could make a saving with having a single linear spring on each corner of the car rather than a twin-spring setup, then we are happy to go with that.

“It was, probably 10 years ago ourselves, and FPR (Ford Performance Racing) at the time, pioneered the use of twin-springs.

“They can definitely be a help, but I think that now you’ll see people adapting to a single-spring setup. If people think that it’s suddenly going to change their lives, they’re probably wrong.

“But it’s actually quite an interesting technical challenge now to the engineering around the different setup than we’ve typically gone to for the last few years.”

Triple Eight is set for a far less frantic off-season compared to last year that saw the team charged to deliver the new-for-2018 ZB Commodore aero kits to all Holden outfits.

The squad will however build up a new ZB Commodore for Jamie Whincup now that his 2018 chassis has been sold to Matt Stone Racing.

The Supercars Teams’ champions will also step up preparations for the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour where it will operate a Scott Taylor Motorsport prepared Mercedes-AMG GT3 for Whincup, Shane van Gisbergen and Craig Lowndes.

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Comments require approval before being published. Speedcafe.com reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic.

Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!