Supercars confident of GC600 product amid SST loss
Supercars has admitted the absence of Stadium Super Trucks is a loss from the Vodafone Gold Coast 600 but is confident in its product for this weekend.
The championship had hoped to have the Stadium Super Trucks (SST) on its support bill but has had to reorganise its schedule following the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport’s decision to ban the category on safety grounds.
CAMS placed a ban on Super Trucks in May which has been upheld by the Victorian Supreme Court after the latter challenged the decision, requesting an injunction to allow the trucks to race at the Gold Coast.
After being made aware of the ban Supercars has drafted in the Kumho V8 Touring Cars Series as a replacement for SST, while an extra Supercars Armor All Top 10 Shootout has been added to the schedule on Saturday.
Adding to the on track entertainment is a special NASCAR demonstration run which will see a 2016 specification Team Penske Ford Fusion cut laps with Scott McLaughlin and Fabian Coulthard behind the wheel.
Supercars has admitted that the Super Trucks, which featured on the Gold Coast in 2016, were a popular part of their event but is bound by the ruling issued by CAMS.
“We observed the proceedings and it really is out of our hands,” a Supercars spokesman told Speedcafe.com.
“We have got the Kumho V8 Touring Cars coming in at the Gold Coast and they are a great series in themselves. There is nothing else we can do in the situation.
“The Stadium Super Trucks were super popular here on the Gold Coast and they are a great spectacle and we do love having them here so they are a loss. We think we have got a good product in the Kumho Series in their wake.”
During the court judgement last week an affidavit quoted by SST’s legal representative referred to a conversation with Supercars’ chief operating officers Shane Howard supporting the inclusion of Super Trucks on the bill.
The judgement read, “In reply, by a subsequent affidavit sworn 4 October 2018, Sullivan deposes to a conversation with the Chief Operating Officer of Supercars on 24 September 2018 in which he was informed.
“(a) That Supercars was ready, willing and able to honour the Performance Agreement by restoring the plaintiff’s races at the Gold Coast 600 Event if the suspension notice was lifted by the defendant;
“(b) That it would in fact be beneficial for Supercars if the plaintiff’s race was reinstated, given the replacement events had triggered cancellations, reduced ticket sales, and were of less interest to the general public; and
“(c) That Supercars was prepared to comply with any directives from either the FIA or the defendant requiring alterations to, among other things, the track, fencing and ramps used during the plaintiff’s races.”
Supercars has told Speedcafe.com that is has not received any requests for refunds from spectators following the loss of Super Trucks from the event.
The Gold Coast 600 begins on Friday with opening Supercars practice scheduled for 1040 local time.