Force India retains Perez for 2019

Mat Coch

Friday 19th October, 2018 - 10:38am

Share:

Sergio Perez

Sergio Perez will remain with Racing Point Force India for the 2019 Formula 1 season following confirmation that the Mexican has agreed a new one-year deal.

Perez joined Force India in 2014 and played an instrumental part in saving the team earlier this year.

On the brink of collapse as a winding up petition was leveled against the team, Perez was integral in having the team placed into Administration which ultimately saved the squad.

“I am very happy to finally announce my future and I’m really motivated for 2019,” Perez said.

“Force India has been my home since 2014 and has allowed me to grow as a driver and show my skills on track.

“We have achieved so much success in the last five seasons but I think the best is yet to come.

“The new investment the team is enjoying fills me with confidence and I am really excited about the future.”

Team principal Otmar Szafnauer was equally enthusiastic at the continuation of their partnership with the Mexican.

“I’m pleased that Sergio will continue his journey with us in 2019,” Szafnauer said.

“Over the last five years, Sergio has confirmed his position as one of the most talented and consistent drivers on the Formula 1 grid.

“He gives us valuable stability going forward and is a huge asset to the team.

“As we begin an exciting new chapter in the life of this team, we are delighted that Sergio will race with us going forward.”

Perez’s confirmation leaves just three seats yet to be confirmed on next year’s grid.

Williams, Toro Rosso and at Racing Point Force India all have vacancies, the latter widely expected to be filled by current Williams driver Lance Stroll.

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!