Supercars not involved in de Silvestro future

Tom Howard

Wednesday 22nd August, 2018 - 4:37pm

Share:

Simona de Silvestro pic: AJP Photography

Supercars won’t have any involvement in decisions surrounding Simona de Silvestro’s future in the championship next season despite the category playing a critical role in bringing the driver to the series.

The Nissan Motorsport racer has emerged as a key player in the silly season with the Swiss ace tipped to join Triple Eight to take up the third seat vacated by Craig Lowndes.

Supercars helped secure the sponsorship to lure de Silvestro to the series as part of a three-year deal to race in the category, announced in 2016.

At the time, the championship and then CEO James Warburton itself announced the signing without confirming the team the former IndyCar driver would race for.

Having had a role in bringing the driver to the championship, Supercars says it has no involvement in any possible movements within the category made by de Silvestro.

“If she were to look at doing something different, that’s entirely up to her,” CEO Sean Seamer told Speedcafe.com.

“That’s her choice, her decision. As long as she’s happy and having fun, we’re happy.”

While Nissan Motorsport has confirmed to Speedcafe.com that de Silvestro is under contract with the team for 2019, she has been heavily linked to a move Triple Eight.

It has also been reported the driver has a loophole in her contract which is linked to Nissan’s factory involvement with the Kelly Racing team, that will end after this season.

The driver’s manager has attended the last two Supercars events at Queensland Raceway and Sydney Motorsport Park.

It is also understood that discussions between Triple Eight and de Silvestro’s current primary backer Harvey Norman have been held.

De Silvestro told Speedcafe.com last month that any move to Triple Eight was purely rumour.

Meanwhile, Triple Eight owner Roland Dane remains coy on the future structure of his team for next season.

“When I’ve got something to tell you, then I’m sure you’ll hear,” he told Speedcafe.com last week.

De Silvestro is among group of drivers and teams yet to confirm plans for next season.

Mark Winterbottom is the most high profile that is currently out of contract with his deal at Tickford Racing set to expire at the end of the year.

Tickford has remained tight-lipped regarding a new deal for the 2015 champion.

Likewise, Nissan Motorsport’s Michael Caruso and Preston Hire Racing’s Lee Holdsworth are off contract.

Preston Hire Racing boss Charlie Schwerkolt has stated to Speedcafe.com that all options for next year are being investigated.

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!