Scott Dixon has signed a multi-year deal to stay at Chip Ganassi Racing (CGR) in the Verizon IndyCar Series.
Dixon’s next contractual move had been considered a key part of IndyCar’s silly season puzzle with the Kiwi strongly linked to a potential McLaren entry, as well as a defection to another of the existing big teams.
However, the 38-year-old has opted to continue with the outfit which he joined partway through 2002.
“I have always said I have a massive amount of respect for Chip (Ganassi) and what he’s done in this sport,” said Dixon.
“This is not an easy business. His resume speaks for itself, and he’s the type of team owner any driver would want to drive for. He gives you the tools you need to go out and get the job done, with the right group of people.
“This team has been like a family to me since way back in 2002, and I’m glad I’ll be here trying to fight for more wins, championships and Indianapolis 500s for years to come.”
Dixon became the outright third-most prolific IndyCar race winner when he took out the Toronto race last month.
Of his 44 IndyCar wins, 43 have come with CGR, including the 2008 Indianapolis 500.
He has won the series four times (2003, 2008, 2013, 2015) and currently tops the standings by 46 points with four races remaining.
The record made Dixon a highly sought-after signing, a fact not lost on team owner Ganassi.
“I think when you mention the name Scott Dixon, the numbers and the records start to speak for themselves,” he noted.
“We have achieved a lot together, but there are no signs of him slowing down. He’s still the guy the championship goes through, and you know you have to beat him to get on the top step.
“He’s a driver that’s always thinking about the next race and how he’s going to approach it, attack it and ultimately win it.
“I’m very happy that we have the opportunity to continue this relationship and look forward to many more successful years together.”
Dixon has also enjoyed success in CGR’s sportscar program, twice as an outright winner in the Daytona 24 Hours (2006, 2015) and again as a class winner this year.
Neither party has specified the exact length of the new contract but it does lock the Brisbane-born driver in at his current home for at least 2019 and 2020.
The 2018 season continues this weekend (August 18-19 local time) with the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono.