Nissan to enter Formula E

Speedcafe.com

Wednesday 25th October, 2017 - 1:39pm

Share:

Formula E

Nissan has announced that it will enter Formula E in 2018/19, with expectations that it will replace alliance partner Renault.

The Japanese manufacturer made the announcement at the Tokyo Motor Show, effectively confirming reports from earlier in the month.

Renault has not yet officially announced its withdrawal.

Mike Carcamo, boss of NISMO, visited the Renault e.dams Formula E team during the recent Valencia pre-season test.

It is likely that there would be a direct swap of support of the e.dams team from Renault to Nissan.

“Nissan’s DNA is rich in innovation in electric mobility, not to mention a long history of success in motorsports,” said Daniele Schillaci, Nissan’s executive vice-president of global sales and marketing.

“It makes sense that we bring these two core elements together by competing in Formula E.”

Nissan, which closed its LMP1 program at the end of 2015, and BMW will commence full factory efforts in Formula E in 2018/19, and Mercedes and Porsche a season later.

Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag hailed the announcement as a significant one for the championship.

“To have a name like Nissan coming on board is a momentous day for the series,” he said.

“Not only is it great to welcome a new manufacturer to the Formula E family – it’s great to see our first Japanese manufacturer entering the frame, showing truly how global the electric revolution is.

“Japan is a country at the forefront of new technologies, with one of the biggest followings of Formula E.

“The shift toward sustainable mobility is in motion, and it’s unstoppable.”

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!