New Commodore Supercar to begin testing next month
Triple Eight is set to commence a full test program for its new generation Commodore Supercar next month.
The factory Holden squad has been charged to develop the latest iteration of the Commodore Supercar, which will be based on the European designed Opel Insignia sedan.
Triple Eight intends to field its new shape Holden next year which will be powered by the outfit’s existing V8 power plants, before moving to a 3.6 litre twin-turbo V6 engine in 2019.
The squad has been conducting tests with its V6 unit this year ahead of planned wildcard appearances next season, although the new look Commodore Supercar has yet to break cover.
THE FINAL RACE OF THE 2023 REPCO SUPERCARS CHAMPIONSHIP ON ONE OF THE WORLD’S BEST STREET CIRCUITS. GO ALL IN AT THE VAILO ADELAIDE 500, CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS
Alongside a tight championship battle and the V6 development, Triple Eight is on schedule with the build of its first new Commodore ahead of test program, expected to begin in late September.
The car’s homologation is already underway with the process due to be completed in early 2018.
“The progress (on the new car) is good. We should be running the car in about a month’s time which is the plan,” Triple Eight owner Roland Dane told Speedcafe.com.
“We will be starting a full program of testing hopefully by the end of September.
“There are a number of different aspects to the homologation.
“There is the vehicle’s specification document which goes right through the heart of the car, so there is plenty of work to do on that.
“That is already underway but that won’t be finalised until into next year.
“We are very happy with what everyone has produced so far.
“There is plenty of work for this year as well as next year to do, nobody has been slacking.”
Switching back to this year’s championship battle, the team is due to conduct its pre Pirtek Enduro Cup test day at Queensland Raceway next Wednesday.
Regular pilots Jamie Whincup, Shane van Gisbergen and Craig Lowndes are set to be joined by co-drivers Paul Dumbrell, Matt Campbell and Steven Richards.
New recruit Campbell is expected to return to Australia following the latest round of the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup at Monza this weekend.
The 22-year-old joined the team at a test day in June for his maiden run in a Triple Eight Commodore.
With 900 points up for grabs across the Sandown 500, Bathurst 1000 and Gold Coast 600, Dane says the test will be vital for the squad’s preparations.
“Enduro tests are always vital from a team and driver point of view to make sure we have prepared properly,” he added.
“It is no more or less important than it has been (in the past), the Pirtek Enduro Cup is up for grabs and everyone wants to win those races anyway as much as ever.
“There is always lots of points up for grabs and it is almost always pivotal in championship terms, it is no different for us this year.
“Matt (Campbell) has plenty of procedural things to learn.
“He has been used to racing in a very different category for the last few months, so there is plenty of work to do for Matt, so we will be giving him plenty of attention.”
The Pirtek Enduro Cup begins at the Wilson Security Sandown 500 from September 15-17.