Robson, Sciberras prevail in ARC in Tassie rain

Blake Sciberras chases Jaie Robson in the rain pic: Digital Realism

Jaie Robson took another race win and the round honours as rain continued to cause chaos in Round 2 of the Aussie Racing Cars Championship at Symmons Plains.

Race 3 featured a reverse grid, with Brendon Tucker the initial leader before James Duckworth made up seven positions in just over a lap to take the ascendancy.

The defending champion cleared out to an 8.5s lead before the Safety Car appeared on Lap 5 after Grant Thompson lost control down the back straight in the heavy rain.

Debutant Joel Heinrich jumped ahead from the double-file restart on Lap 8, but Duckworth regained the lead three corners later at the hairpin.

There was more drama on Lap 11 when Ben Walsh lost control under brakes, glanced the fence, and speared backwards through the hairpin, fortuitously finding the gap between Craig Woods and Kel Treseder.

That necessitated another Safety Car, which was called just as Robson slid off the end of the back straight backwards.

A final-lap dash was all that remained, with Duckworth set to take victory before he failed to pull up the RDA Brakes entry and skated off at Turn 6.

Sciberras took victory from Heinrich, while Robson salvaged third.

Race 4, run over only five laps due to a delay in the program, was similarly treacherous.

Robson took an early lead from P1 on the grid but Sciberras soon caught up and made the race a genuine contest.

Scibberas momentarily led mid-race before completing the pass on the penultimate lap.

However, a huge slide for the Millennium Building Group car which lasted the length of John Bowe Straight opened the door for Robson and he did not waste the opportunity.

The Red House Developments car took the chequered flag first for the third time in the weekend, while Sciberras placed second having eventually caught the slide.

Treseder was a distant third, just ahead of Chris Stevenson, with the top four for the race matching the round results.

Round 3 supports the Perth Super Sprint, from May 5-7.

Sports GT’s

Adam Garwood won both of the day’s races in sodden conditions, to take out the round.

Race 2 had to be restarted after Dennis Howard looped his Nissan 350Z while braking for the hairpin and hit the fence on the opening lap.

Join the discussion below in the comments section

Please note: reserves the right to remove any comment that does not follow the comment policy. For support, contact [email protected]