Robson takes two race wins in ARC at Symmons

Daniel Herrero

Saturday 8th April, 2017 - 7:46pm


Jaie Robson pic: Digital Realism

Jaie Robson has taken his first and second race wins during a frantic day in Aussie Racing Cars Round 2 at Symmons Plains Raceway.

Race 1 was held on a drying track with intermittent rain and it was pole-sitter Kel Treseder who led off the start line.

He held the advantage until Robson and Ben Walsh both got past at the end of the back straight on Lap 4.

Walsh took the lead at the same place two laps later, but his advantage lasted only a few hundred metres as he slipped off the track at Turn 1/Turn 2.

Craig Woods then challenged his Western Sydney Motorsport stable-mate and did lead for a lap before Robson regained top spot with just over one tour of the circuit remaining.

He would cruise to victory when the Safety Car was called on the final lap, after Ross Higgins had hit the wall while attempting to get out of the leaders’ way.

Blake Sciberras finished third, James Duckworth recovered from an earlier off to grab fourth, Treseder was fifth, and Walsh 11th.

Race 2 saw rain from start to finish, making for treacherous conditions.

Robson made a clean getaway but Treseder was turned around at the second corner when Chris Stevenson came from deep in the pack.

Woods outbraked Robson at the end of the back straight before the opening lap was out, but the Race 1 winner did well to criss-cross and regain the lead.

Charlotte Poynting necessitated the Safety Car when she aquaplaned off the road at Turn 2, and Duckworth lost several positions when he was too eager to outbrake the top two at the hairpin upon the restart.

Woods, however, did take the lead shortly after, before Robson took it back for good when he rounded up car #64 at the hairpin on Lap 9.

Sciberras moved up to second place late in the race and Woods got third.

A fast-finishing Stevenson spun while braking very late to try and pinch second position at the penultimate corner, instead coming home eighth.

Madison Dunston achieved her best result by far as she finished tenth.

Jeff Watters came from rear of grid to finish twelfth after an engine failure and consequent fire in qualifying sidelined him from the opening race.

Round 2 concluded with two more races tomorrow from 1020 and 1210 AEST respectively.

Sports GT’s

Tony Warren won a race which delayed by a red flag after Tony Besson got crossed up and clouted the Turn 7 wall on the opening lap.

Races 2 and 3 follow tomorrow at 1055 and 1555 AEST. comment policy

Comments require approval before being published. reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic.

Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected] has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the promise

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!