The new SuperUte platform will break cover in late May, before its first official test the following month, Supercars has announced.
The first example of the new dual cab racers will be unveiled on May 30 before official testing in at a yet to be determined Queensland venue.
Speedcafe.com understands that the test will take place at either Queensland Raceway or the Norwell Motorplex.
Both events mark milestones in the development of the new platform, which was initially set for a three-car demonstration run at the Adelaide 500 in March.
Build issues were cited as the reason for the delay, after construction began late last year.
“We are very pleased with the progress to date,” said Supercars managing director Matt Braid.
“The initial design process is now completed on three of Australia’s most-popular dual cabs while at least two others are expected to be completed in the coming weeks.”
“We’ve got several of Australia’s leading manufacturers and suppliers on board who have provided great assistance in our design process and all involved are excited to see the first completed SuperUte which we are planning to unveil in late May.”
The news comes amid announcements regarding the technical package for the SuperUte platform, for which prototypes have been developed by PACE Innovations.
South Australian firm Supashock will supply the control suspension package for the utes, while PDW will supply wheels.
“We’ve taken great pride in manufacturing and supplying high performance shocks and springs to the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship teams for many years,” said Supashock owner Oscar Fiorinotto.
“This new SuperUtes series is very different to what we’ve seen before. As both suppliers and fans, we are interested to see just which model will come out on top this year.”
The outgoing Commodores and Falcons will continue to run for two rounds at Phillip Island (April 21-23) and Winton (May 19-21), before the SuperUtes make their competitive debut at the Towsnville 400 from July 7-9.