Newcastle 500 to go ahead amid recent unrest

Tom Howard

Friday 10th February, 2017 - 4:00am

Share:

Supercars have made assurances the Newcastle race will proceed in the wake of escalating protests from residents living in the historic East End precinct

The Coates Hire Newcastle 500 Supercars season finale will go ahead despite heightened protests from residents opposed to the new street circuit event, according to CEO James Warburton.

Supercars inked a five-year deal to host a race on the streets of the New South Wales coastal city with the event to replace the Sydney 500 which has closed out the Championship at the Olympics venue since 2009.

The race scheduled for November 24-26, has proven divisive amongst citizens with tempers coming to a head earlier this month.

A group of 140 residents staged a demonstration against the event with the protest escalating in front of Supercars fans.

Residents have cited fears that noise levels would reach unsafe levels while others are worried about an increase in ‘hoon’ behaviour.

A Newcastle Herald report claims those opposed to the race have accused Supercars supporters of an act of vandalism that has left parts of the upmarket East End without internet services.

When asked about the recent tension in Newcastle, Warburton said the unrest will not affect the future of the race.

He says Supercars is continuing to work to alleviate any issues and is urging residents to work with the organisation.

“The race is going ahead,” Warburton assured when approached by Speedcafe.com.

“We are finalising everything in terms of the track design and the implementation and working through it.

“We will always work with residents. We are working with residents in the East End and we will continue to work with them.

“I think it is absolutely to be expected. It is the same issues that are faced by any street race in the world.

“There are street races in every market of the world from Monaco all the way through to the Gold Coast. It is what happens.

“I think people need to work with us and appreciate that we are very good with residents in terms of access and all those types of things.

“We will work through their concerns and we will try to negate as many as possible.”

The Virgin Australia Supercars Championship heads to Adelaide for the Clipsal 500 season opener from March 2-5.

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!