De Conto secured for Gold Coast kart event
Recently crowned World Karting Champion Paolo De Conto is confirmed for the International Race of Stars powered by SuperFest on the Gold Coast.
The October 14-16 Race of Stars will see a current World Karting Champion competing in Australia for the first time in more than 20 years.
“It is a very exciting opportunity for me I’ve never been to Australia and everyone tells me the Gold Coast is beautiful,” De Conto said.
The 24 year-old Italian will join the CRG Australia team at the event.
Having previously secured the winner’s surfboard with Italian Davide Forè, De Conto is keen to make it three in a row for the team.
“It will be an honour to join the CRG Australia team for the event and hopefully make it three wins in a row for them.”
Having driven karts from the age of three, racing has been a way of life for De Conto and for the past seven years he has been a professional racer throughout the European circuit.
Since enjoying his first major success at the 2009 European Bridgestone Cup, De Conto has become a two-time European Champion and enjoyed victory at the SKUSA SuperNationals in Las Vegas, the Winter Cup in Italy and the WSK Champions Cup.
On September 4 he joined an elite club that only one Australian driver – James Courtney – is a part of by taking out the 2016 CIK-FIA World KZ Karting Championship.
Courtney, dual World Karting Champion in the 1990’s is heavily involved in the Australian karting scene through his JC Kart range.
“I’d always kept a bit of an eye on karting through the years but it was at the Race of Stars two years ago where I really reconnected with the karting scene and its been a real blast being back involved,” Courtney said.
As a part of SuperFest activities attached to the Castrol Gold Coast 600 Supercars event, the Race of Stars will be conducted at the Gold Coast Motorsport Training Centre, Pimpama.