New deal secures Winton Supercars future
Winton has signed a new contract to remain on the Supercars Championship calendar next year.
The rural Victorian circuit’s future on the Supercars bill had been placed in doubt amid concerns over funding, which saw owners Benalla Auto Club recently lobby for assistance from the Victorian Government.
However, the Benalla Auto Club has now confirmed a new deal has been struck, with the agreement to extend until 2019 subject to funding.
The latest contract will see Supercars and the Victorian Government assist in the promotion of next year’s event, which will be held from May 19-21.
THE FINAL RACE OF THE 2023 REPCO SUPERCARS CHAMPIONSHIP ON ONE OF THE WORLD’S BEST STREET CIRCUITS. GO ALL IN AT THE VAILO ADELAIDE 500, CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS
“The Supercars event delivers significant and measurable benefits to the local economy – this year’s event delivered an $8.8 million boost to the community,” said Benalla Auto Club chief executive Chris Lewis-Williams.
“We’re very excited we’ve been able to reach an agreement to retain the Supercars Championship for next year.
“We look forward to again promoting a top-class race meeting that showcases not just the circuit, but the entire region, to a worldwide audience.
“Supercars CEO James Warburton was also instrumental in orchestrating an agreement that was mutually beneficial for all parties, and we thank him for his support.”
Supercars boss James Warburton is pleased to have reached a new agreement and has praised the Benalla Auto Club for its work to improve the facility.
“This is a great result for fans in regional Victoria,” said Warburton.
“Chris Lewis-Williams and his team have done a fantastic job to help build this iconic venue including a major resurfacing project.”