IndyCar announces Watkins Glen return
IndyCar will return to Watkins Glen for the first time in six years after the circuit was named as a replacement for the aborted Boston street race.
The event will take the place of Boston which was cut through organisational issues two weeks ago.
Watkins Glen will take the September 1-4 date made vacant as the penultimate round of the Verizon IndyCar Series.
“A tremendous amount of thanks goes to track President Michael Printup and his entire staff for their efforts in helping make this a reality in such a short time frame,” IndyCar president Jay Frye said.
“Obviously, Watkins Glen has great racing history and it’s a track that will showcase the on-track competition and overall excitement level of our series.
Stan Sport is the only way to watch every round of the INDYCAR SERIES. Click here for all the action streaming ad-free, live and on demand.
Watkins Glen last played host to the series from 2005-2010 with Scott Dixon winning the first three events while Will Power won the final event at the New York venue, a year after the late Justin Wilson won Dale Coyne’s maiden IndyCar race.
The circuit previously hosted IndyCar events from 1979-1981.
“The fact that we could put this deal together so quickly shows how motivated each party was to make this happen for the fans and the competitors,” Watkins Glen International President Michael Printup said.
“I know our team has the capability to make this a premier event for INDYCAR, and I believe the drivers are really going to love the new asphalt and that translates into an exciting weekend for the fans. It’s truly a win-win for everyone.”
The Watkins Glen race will be scheduled over 60 laps.