LATEST

Stewart announces NASCAR return at Richmond

Speedcafe.com

Friday 22nd April, 2016 - 8:20am

Share:

Tony Stewart has been cleared to make his first 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup appearance this weekend

Tony Stewart has been cleared to make his first 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup appearance this weekend

Triple NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart has announced an end to his lengthy injury lay-off, declaring himself a starter at Richmond this weekend.

Stewart has been sidelined since late January when he was hospitalised with a back injury following an all-terrain-vehicle accident.

Confirmation of the 44-year-old’s return comes a week after NASCAR gave him special dispensation for the Chase, which will see him allowed to qualify for the post-season play-offs.

“NASCAR received the appropriate medical clearance documentation allowing Tony Stewart to resume normal racing activities,” NASCAR Executive Vice President Steve O’Donnell said.

“We also have granted the request from Stewart-Haas Racing for a waiver for Tony to be eligible to qualify for the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.”

Stewart had previously announced the 2016 season as his swansong in Sprint Cup.

“We’re taking a strategic approach to my return,” Stewart said in a team release.

“Richmond is a track where I feel very comfortable and because it’s a short track, the speeds are substantially less.

“The Goodyear test (next week) in Indy is sort of a controlled environment, allowing me to get more acclimated with my car at higher speeds.

“We’ll start the Talladega (April 30-May 1) race to get the points, but understanding the style of racing and the higher potential of getting involved in an incident, we thought it was best to minimise the amount of time I’m in the car.

“I’ll return full time at Kansas (May 6-7) and enjoy every moment I can in my final year of Sprint Cup.”

The latest injury comes after Stewart suffered a badly broken right leg in a Sprintcar crash in 2013 while he put himself on the sideline for a number of races following another dirt track accident which claimed the life of Kevin Ward jr in 2014.

Brian Vickers and Ty Dillon have been substituting in the #14 Chevrolet in Stewart’s absence this season.

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Speedcafe.com reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic. Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!