LATEST

Erebus formally ditches Mercedes for Holdens

Gordon Lomas

Wednesday 13th January, 2016 - 4:21pm

Share:

Erebus has confirmed it has formed a partnership with Holden and will run Commodore VFs in 2016

Erebus has confirmed it has formed a partnership with Holden and will run VF Commodores in 2016

Erebus Motorsport has ended conjecture over what marque it will race in 2016 by confirming it will switch to Walkinshaw Racing-built Commodores.

The squad announced it has formed a relationship with Holden after it was reported late last year that it had been in customer talks with the Melbourne-based Walkinshaw Racing.

After campaigning Mercedes-Benz machinery since the Car of the Future era began several seasons ago, Erebus has decided to garage the AMG-based program.

“Holden has proved its competitiveness in the sport again and again,” team matriarch Betty Klimenko said.

“Erebus has experienced success, but with the switch to Holden combined with our experienced team personnel in Barry Ryan and Campbell Little, and David Reynolds behind the wheel, we have every chance to win more often.”

Erebus had struggled to continue development on the Benz fighters after seeing its former drivers Lee Holdsworth (2014) and Will Davison (2015) each recording single race wins.

The team has undergone a huge off-season transformation, shedding staff and closing its Queensland workshop ahead of fielding an all-new driver line-up for 2016 in David Reynolds and Aaren Russell.

Reynolds, who will drive the #9 Penrite-backed entry, says it is a logical move.

“I made my V8 Supercars debut in a Commodore, but since I last raced a Holden the series moved into the Car Of The Future era,” Reynolds said.

“Since then, the VF Commodore has proven to be the car of choice and I see the change to Holden as a positive for Erebus Motorsport.

“I’m looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of a Commodore and together with Erebus growing a strong relationship with Holden.”

 

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Comments require approval before being published. Speedcafe.com reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic.

Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!