LATEST

Red Bull lodges 2016 Formula 1 entry

Speedcafe.com

Saturday 14th November, 2015 - 9:47am

Share:

Red Bull are finalising talks with an engine supplier to renin on the grid for 2016

Red Bull are finalising talks with an engine supplier to remain on the grid for 2016

Red Bull Racing appears set to remain in Formula 1 after confirmation the team has lodged an entry for next year’s world championship.

The Milton Keynes team and its sister Italian based Toro Rosso outfit have been facing an uncertain future after Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz threatened to withdraw his teams if unable to secure competitive engines.

While yet to announce its engine supplier plans for 2016, Red Bull bosses have confirmed that both teams will feature on the grid next year.

Red Bull’s team advisor Helmut Markko says an engine supplier has been sourced although the arrangement is yet to be finalised.

It is widely understood Red Bull is closing in on a new deal with Renault despite terminating its contract with the French manufacturer earlier this year.

However, it remains unclear which power unit Toro Rosso will adopt with the team linked to a deal to use year old Ferrari engines next year.

“Both Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso will be on the grid next year,” Markko told Sky Germany.

“We have an engine partner, but we haven’t finalised everything yet. Next year, 2016, will be a transition year for us in order to come back even stronger in 2017.

“We are optimistic that then we will be able to fight for victories and the world titles again.

“For the moment, we cannot disclose any details for 2016 as we still work on the details.”

The news has come as a boost to Red Bull lead driver Daniel Ricciardo who is now beginning to focus on a much stronger 2016 campaign.

“It is nice to know,” said Ricciardo.

“I always had faith we would, but it is the first step towards a better 2016, so it is good news.”

The Australian, who expects Red Bull to announce its engine plans imminently, has been encouraged by the performance of an upgraded Renault power unit he is running at this weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix.

“The engine was reliable,” he added.

“Sure, I want a bit more power from it, it’s not as much as we would like, but at least we got some good laps and some good information.

“I’m sure the guys will work tonight and see if we can tune and get more power out of it.”

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Comments require approval before being published. Speedcafe.com reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic.

Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!