LATEST

Van Gisbergen keen to take Webb to Red Bull

Tom Howard

Sunday 25th October, 2015 - 4:00am

Share:

Jono Webb and Shane van Gisbergen celebrate their second triumph at the Castrol Gold Coast 600

Jono Webb and Shane van Gisbergen celebrate their second triumph at the Castrol Gold Coast 600

Shane van Gisbergen is hopeful of continuing his Pirtek Enduro Cup alliance with Jonathon Webb at Red Bull next season.

The pair have formed a successful partnership in the enduros over the last two seasons at Tekno Autosports, with Saturday’s triumph at the Castrol Gold Coast 600 their second victory together.

While van Gisbergen’s impending move from Tekno to Red Bull has seen V8 Supercars bill this weekend’s event as a ‘last hurrah’ for the pairing, there appears a strong chance it will continue.

While a decision on the Kiwi’s enduro partner at Red Bull is yet to be made, van Gisbergen confirmed that Webb will be among the list of candidates.

“He (Jonathon Webb) is definitely on the list,” van Gisbergen told Speedcafe.com.

“He is a pretty awesome driver but whether he will go outside his team is his decision so we will see on that.

“I run his seat insert from two years ago so he just jumps in and drives the car and everything fits perfectly.

“Jono just drives and doesn’t complain, so to have that next year would be great.”

Webb has previously looked at driving outside his own team, signing with the Holden Racing Team in 2014 before the move was blocked, ironically by Tekno’s technical partner Triple Eight.

A move to Red Bull for Webb would meanwhile open the door for new Tekno signing Will Davison to continue his own partnership with brother Alex when he joins the Holden squad next season.

For now, the 31-year-old Webb insists he is yet to decide if he will continue as a co-driver at all in 2016.

Webb says the task has been made more difficult this year due to lack of racing mileage having stepped back from a full-time V8 Supercars drive in 2013.

“To be honest I haven’t thought about whether I want to get back behind the wheel again or not,” Webb told Speedcafe.com.

“(If I carry on) I need to try and stay on top of it if I do by doing a bit more driving.

“This year was a little bit harder than last year to stay focussed to keep the rust off. I will have a good think about it when the year starts to slow down.

“I think once we get through this weekend that is as far as my driving roles are concerned. I can start focussing on the race team for next year and what I do.”

Last year’s Bathurst disaster marks the only time van Gisbergen and Webb have finished outside the top 10 in the six enduro events they have shared the #97 Tekno Holden.

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Comments require approval before being published. Speedcafe.com reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic.

Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!