Nissan confirms exit of Volvo-bound Moffat

Thursday 22nd October, 2015 - 11:01am

Share:

James Moffat

James Moffat

James Moffat will leave Nissan Motorsport at the end of the current season, bound for Garry Rogers Motorsport’s factory Volvo outfit.

Nissan has confirmed the first part of Moffat’s move today, announcing the driver will depart the team after three seasons of service.

A lack of sponsorship has seen the team unable to offer the driver a 2016 contract, despite the 31-year-old having scored the manufacturer’s two best results of its V8 Supercars campaign.

Moffat recorded the marque’s only win to date at Winton in 2013 before joining with Taz Douglas for a second place at Bathurst last year.

Although yet to be announced, Speedcafe.com understands that Moffat has already moved to secure his future, sealing a deal with Garry Rogers Motorsport to replace David Wall.

The signing will finally see rising star Scott McLaughlin with a competitive team-mate following the struggles of Wall and predecessor Robert Dahlgren over the last two seasons.

“I’m confident i’ll be on the grid next year, that’s all I can say at the moment,” a tight-lipped Moffat told Speedcafe.com when asked of his future.

GRM has a two-year naming rights sponsorship with Wilson Security that is expected to continue despite the exit of Wall.

Nissan Motorsport meanwhile says it will make an announcement of its 2016 driver line-up “in due course”.

“We thank James for his efforts over the past three seasons,” said team co-owner and driver Todd Kelly in a statement.

“Since joining Nissan Motorsport at the start of the 2013 season, James has achieved the best results of his V8 Supercars career.

“The team and James are both committed to working together to achieve the best possible results at the final four events of this season.”

Current Brad Jones Racing pilot Dale Wood has been among those linked to the fourth Nissan entry in recent weeks.

Former Dunlop Series winner Wood is currently in his second season at Brad Jones Racing and could bring much needed funding to the squad if he elects to move.

Nissan Motorsport co-owners Todd and Rick Kelly and Nismo-backed driver Michael Caruso will continue in the team’s remaining three Altimas.

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!