Coulthard, Wood disagree over qualifying clash
Brad Jones Racing team-mates Fabian Coulthard and Dale Wood have failed to make peace following their on track clash in Race 11 qualifying at Winton.
Coulthard was barged off the circuit early in the session when Wood attempted to pass his team-mate into Turn 7.
The contact, which caused damage to the right-front door of the #14 Holden, occurred as Coulthard turned into the apex.
Wood had been on a hot lap at the time, while Coulthard was preparing for a run on the subsequent lap.
“We (the drivers) have an agreement that when you’re on a lap, your headlights are on,” Coulthard told Speedcafe.com.
“His headlights weren’t on. I was unaware he was on a lap, he bombed me into seven and we came together.”
While a clearly heated Wood declined to comment on the incident when approached by Speedcafe.com, a typically relaxed Coulthard confirmed that the duo continue to disagree over who was at fault.
“He eventually came and saw me,” said Coulthard. “I was just after an apology, but I didn’t get one.”
The clash came a year after contact between Wood and the other BJR Holden of Jason Bright during race conditions at the same corner.
Wood and Coulthard ended Race 11 qualifying 22nd and 25th respectively ahead of a 60km heat where passing is expected to be near on impossible.
While the contact only caused superficial damage to the Freightliner Holden, Coulthard struggled on his second run, resulting in the poor starting position.
“We made an adjustment that didn’t work, we just had massive understeer,” he said.
“I aborted the first lap and went again. It was going to be ok, but I made an error at Turn 10 and ran a little bit wide.
“I didn’t have a banker in so I am where I am now. It’s obviously going to be very hard from back there.”
Coulthard says the team will decide between Races 10 and 11 whether or not to save tyres in the second heat in order to have an extra set for Sunday.