Prodrive takes up two-year Mostert contract

Tuesday 12th May, 2015 - 11:14am

Share:

Chaz Mostert

Chaz Mostert

Prodrive Racing Australia has secured Chaz Mostert for a further two seasons, taking up its option on the young gun.

The now 23-year-old has been part of the Prodrive fold since late 2011, running initially in the Dunlop Series.

He stepped into the main championship with customer team Dick Johnson Racing midway through 2013, before graduating to Prodrive’s Pepsi Max Crew last season.

The reigning Bathurst winner future with Prodrive had never been in serious doubt due to the option contract held by the team.

Team principal Tim Edwards says Mostert has been “a breath of fresh air for the team” since taking over the #6 entry last year.

“We had an option on Chaz for a further two years and while there was no rush to sort things out, there wasn’t any reason to delay either, so we exercised our option a while ago and we can continue on without any further speculation,” Edwards said.

“Chaz has been a breath of fresh air for the team and the sport. He is one of the next generation of stars and he keeps performing at a very high level so we’re very pleased with his development thus far.

“He and Mark (Winterbottom) will be driving together for at least the next three seasons so our fans and commercial partners have got a lot to look forward to.”

Currently eighth in the championship after an inconsistent start to the season, Mostert says he remains focussed on this year’s campaign.

“Our joint focus remains on success this year and more immediately on Winton this weekend,” he said.

“This is a great team. I get along great with the crew, we’ve enjoyed a lot of success in a short time and I am enjoying challenging and being challenged by Frosty (Winterbottom).”

The team announced on Monday that Mostert will be joined by its Dunlop Series star Cameron Waters in this year’s Pirtek Enduro Cup.

Confirmation of Mostert’s place still leaves a number of question marks at Prodrive beyond this season.

Major sponsors Pepsi Max and The Bottle-O are both out of contract, as is third driver David Reynolds.

Super Black Racing has meanwhile declared its intentions to continue next year with either one or two cars, but is yet to secure a Racing Entitlements Contract under which to compete.

Prodrive’s association with Ford meanwhile concludes at the end of 2015, although the team will continue to race its recently developed FG X Falcons for at least a further season.

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!