Ex-F1 driver to race Camaro in Australian GT
Former Formula 1 driver Tomas Enge will be behind the wheel of M Motorsport’s Chevrolet Camaro when it makes its Australian GT Championship debut in Adelaide.
The 38-year-old Czech is the second international signing confirmed for the event following the recent appointment of Christopher Mies to JAMEC-PEM’s new Audi.
Justin McMillan’s M Motorsport is making the switch from Lamborghini to Chevrolet this year, running its own car alongside that for a yet-to-be-named customer.
Enge, whose open-wheel career saw him drive three F1 races for Prost in 2001, has been a GT racing stalwart over the last decade.
Currently contracted to Reiter Engineering, which has developed both the Camaro and Lamborghini GT3 contenders, Enge has been confirmed for Adelaide and could also join the team for further events during the year.
“Tomas has been with Reiter since 2012 and as a result, has been right through the development of the Camaro from day one,” said McMillan, who will co-drive with Enge.
“He’s run in both Thailand where he was always either first or second in their Supercar/GT3 category, and in the ADAC GT Masters where he was always amongst the leaders.
“He may not have driven Clipsal before, but he’s a driver with immense experience and he will be able to extract the absolute maximum from the Camaro, especially around somewhere like Clipsal where torque will play a big part of firing out of the slower corners.”
Inky Tulloch became the first to race a Camaro GT3 in the AGTC at last year’s Highlands Park season finale, but is yet to confirm if he will campaign in any rounds beyond his native New Zealand this year.
With McMillan’s Camaro only scheduled to arrive in Australia in the coming days, his team will continue to campaign its Lamborghini in February’s Bathurst 12 Hour.
The Melbourne-based businessman will be teamed with experienced pros Steve Richards and Craig Baird, who joins the team after three years with Clearwater Racing.
“I’m really looking forward to Bathurst,” said McMillan.
“This will be my third 12 Hour and with the team we have, I believe we’re right in the equation for an outright result.
“We were leading early last year with Steve before the incident at the top of the mountain which saw Ross Lilley caught out on the resultant oil across Skyline.
“Both Steve and Bairdo are proven front runners, and I’d like to go out with the Gallardo on a high note, so we’ll be working hard to be amongst the leaders over the closing stages.”
Bathurst 12 Hour organisers released an entry list on Friday confirming the bulk of the driver line-ups for the race.