Bathurst council to resurface Griffins Bend

Tuesday 14th October, 2014 - 4:00am


Griffins Bend, pictured during the resurfacing works in November, 2013

Griffins Bend, pictured during the resurfacing works in November, 2013

The Bathurst Regional Council will rip up and resurface the section of tarmac at Griffins Bend that proved troublesome during Sunday’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

The race was halted for more than an hour with 100 laps to run after the progressively worsening surface had caught out several drivers.

The council had attempted to patch over initial problems with the surface, which was first laid down last November, at both Griffins and The Dipper prior to the V8 Supercars event.

Bathurst Regional Council Mayor, Gary Rush says that the resurface of 15 metres of tarmac at the trouble spot will be undertaken “as soon as we can”.

“We have already discussed it with the sub-contractor who was responsible for laying down the track; and the director of engineering at Bathurst Regional Council has kept me posted on it,” Rush told the ABC.

“The remedy will be to take-up that part of the track and re-seal it. That work will be conducted as soon as we can.

“I’m 100 per cent confident that the rest of the nearly 6.2km has worked very, very well.

“There is no reason why this part of the track won’t be fixed-up and be good by the time the 12 hour race is on in February next year.”

Those to fall foul of the loose surface included eventual race winner Paul Morris and second placed getter Taz Douglas.

Both were able to reverse out of the tyre wall and continue sporting only cosmetic damage.

While the work undertaken during the stoppage proved enough to hold up for the remainder of the race, views were mixed as to whether the red flags had been required.

“The track was dodgy but there have been heaps of times like at Townsville and Homebush where we have had surface break up,” Erebus Motorsport’s Will Davison told

“It felt like going from asphalt to a dirt road mid-corner and you instantly lose all grip. It never got worse than any other circumstance.

“It was not ideal but I found a bit of a line to avoid it. It was like going into a new corner, it was bizarre.

“I thought we would keep running but maybe it would have been undriveable if we carried on.

“It was better after the fix but still not great.”

Red Bull’s Craig Lowndes said he had just found a way around the issue, by keeping a shallow entry-line, prior to the stoppage, but backed the calls for the red flags.

“There is no doubt about it the race had to be stopped and fixed we had too many cars go into the wall,” he told

“It was like an ice rink and a couple of times I saved the car from going into the wall.

“It’s interesting because when we did the 12 hour here that patching at Griffin’s and at the Dipper was never there so I don’t know what caused them to patch those sections.

“But definitely the one at Griffins took quite a pounding.”

The drama gave teams a rare chance to explore the red flag regulations that allow teams to undertaken work on the cars, other than changing drivers, tyres or refuelling.

The majority made set-up adjustments while others worked on repairing mechanical or electronic issues, such as the Holden Racing Team with its troublesome #22 entry.

Red Bull in turn considered changing a vibrating tail shaft on its #1 Commodore, but elected against the move due to uncertainty over the time of the restart.