LATEST

Melbourne secures F1 GP through 2020

Speedcafe.com

Sunday 3rd August, 2014 - 9:46am

Share:

The Victorian government has secured the AGP for a further five years

The Victorian government has secured the AGP for a further five years

The Victorian government has secured a five-year extension to its current contract to host the opening round of the Formula 1 world championship.

The extended agreement, signed in London last week, confirms the Albert Park race through to at least 2020.

Although refusing to disclose financial terms of the contract, premier Denis Napthine says it’s a “better deal” than the previous arrangement.

“This is a great deal for Victoria and I congratulate Ron Walker (Australian Grand Prix Corporation chairman) and (major events) minister Louise Asher, who have been tough negotiators on behalf of Victoria,” he told 3AW.

“We’ve secured another five years for the grand prix and we’ve secured a great deal for the people of Victoria that is a better deal than the existing contract.

“The new contract is a contract on the same basis as previously that we will be the first grand prix of the season in March each year,” he added.

Last year’s AGP reportedly cost Victorian tax payers $50.67 million while delivering $39 million in economic benefits.

The 2015 AGP will be the last held under the current contract.

Speedcafe.com comment policy

Comments require approval before being published. Speedcafe.com reserves the right to deny any post that is abusive or offtopic.

Users are encouraged to flag/report comments which should be removed.

Some comments may require approval before being published which can take up to 48 hours.

For support, please contact [email protected]

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!