Teen driver serious but stable after fiery crash

The accident scene at Turn 1. pic: Brian Parsell via News Litd

The accident scene at Turn 1. pic: Brian Parsell via News Ltd

Australian Manufacturers’ Championship driver Brock Giblin is in a serious but stable condition after suffering burns in a crash at Sydney Motorsport Park today.

A statement from Colin Osbourne Motorsport late this afternoon says that the 17-year-old is being readied to be transferred from Westmead Hospital to a specialist burns facility.

Giblin suffered burns to 70 percent of his body when the Mazda3 he was driving rolled and burst into flames at the high-speed Turn 1.

With the damage to the car such that the drivers’ door would not open, rescue crews were unable to extract Giblin from the vehicle until the fire was put out.

“We have been advised that he is currently in a serious but stable condition at Westmead Hospital,” read the statement from Osborne Motorsport, which is run by former CAMS president Colin Osborne.

“At the present time, investigations at the hospital indicate that his burn injuries are the only area of concern.

“Brock is currently being readied for transfer to a specialist burns unit in Sydney.

“The car is destroyed and was engulfed in flame during the incident. While the precise cause of the accident is under investigation, it is apparent that the fire was a result of the accident, and not the cause.

“The team is working closely with CAMS to identify the cause. We are confident that the cars construction, safety devices and the drivers safety apparel did their job to restrict any further injuries to Brock.

“Brock is at hospital with his father and a number of members of the Osborne Motorsport Team.

“The team would like to acknowledge the efforts of the rescue services and crews that attended the accident scene, and would particularly like acknowledge the remarkably brave actions of fellow drivers, Ryan McLeod and Matt Cherry, attempting to provide assistance to Brock prior to, and following, the arrival of emergency crews.

“Our thoughts are with Brock and his family at this time, and we hope for a quick recovery.

“The team has not yet decided if it will continue to participate in the Australian Manufacturers Championship round this weekend.”

McLeod had been the first on the scene after the accident, stopping his BMW 1M before running back to help Giblin.

“I got the door open to try and get him out but he was pretty well trapped in there,” McLeod told Speedcafe.com.

“He was pinned in by the steering wheel and had undone his belts and fallen onto the roof.

“The fuel tank had leaked in the car and it was just engulfed. There would have been 20 or 30 litres of fuel on fire in there.”

McLeod said that Giblin was not able to be extracted until at least 10 minutes after the accident had occurred.

“I ran to the firetruck which had come down and put the first extinguisher on it,” said McLeod.

“They must have put another five or six on to put the fire out, but we couldn’t get him out of the car.

“They eventually got the hydraulic jaws to cut the door open and were able to extract him.”

The accident, which occurred at approximately 10:45am, saw track running suspended for much of the day.

Brief practice sessions were then completed during the late afternoon, with Osborne among the AMChamps field returning to the circuit in his team’s second Mazda.


Join the discussion below in the Speedcafe.com comments section

Please note: Speedcafe.com reserves the right to remove any comment that does not follow the comment policy. For support, contact [email protected]