CONFIRMED: Ricciardo gets Red Bull seat in 2014

Speedcafe.com

Tuesday 3rd September, 2013 - 6:07am

Share:

All smiles for Daniel Ricciardo as he signs for Red Bull Racing

All smiles for Daniel Ricciardo as he signs for Red Bull Racing

Infiniti Red Bull Racing has confirmed that Daniel Ricciardo will drive for the Team from 2014 replacing countryman Mark Webber in a multi-year agreement.

The West Australian joins World Champion Sebastian Vettel in the form team of F1 racing.

“I feel very, very good at the moment and obviously there’s a lot of excitement running through me,” said 24-year-old Ricciardo.

“Since joining F1 in 2011, I hoped this would happen and over time the belief in me has grown; I had some good results and Red Bull has decided that this is it, so it’s a good time.

“Next year I’ll be with a Championship-winning team, arguably the best team, and will be expected to deliver. I’m ready for that. I’m not here to run around in tenth place, I want to get the best results for myself and the team. I would like to thank the team for giving me the opportunity to show what I can do.

“I know the team quite well already since being its reserve driver in 2010, which should make the transition easier. It will be a great challenge to be up against Sebastian Vettel, I’m looking forward to that. My aim is to finish this season as strong as possible, for myself and Scuderia Toro Rosso. Then, once the off-season is here, I’ll be fully focussed on next year and the next stage of my career.”

Webber sent his congratulations via Twitter “Great stuff Daniel. You deserve it, some special days in the future I’m sure. Australian flag still flying too.”

Ricciardo had been hotly tipped to take the seat vacated by Webber, who is heading to Porsche in Le Mans sportscar racing. Webber even going as far as to all but confirming Ricciardo to Network Ten’s F1 coverage from the Belgian Grand Prix.

“He’s a very talented youngster, he’s committed, he’s got a great attitude and in the end it was a very logical choice for us to choose Daniel,” said team boss Christian Horner.

“He joined the Red Bull Junior Team in 2008 and we’ve seen in his junior career in Formula 3 and Renault World Series that he’s capable of winning races and championships. He’s stood out in each of these categories and we’ve followed his progress with great interest.

“He’s got all the attributes that are required to drive for our team: he’s got a great natural ability, he’s a good personality and a great guy to work with. Daniel knows what the team expects from him; he’ll learn quickly and it’s very much a medium to long term view that we’re taking in developing him.

“The seat within the team is a wonderful opportunity and I think he’s going to be a big star of the future.”

Ricciardo’s appointment was expected to be confirmed last week at Spa-Francorchamps and there had been talk of Kimi Raikkonen still being in the mix.

“Since Mark announced his retirement, Christian and I have been looking carefully at the driver market, along with Helmut Marko and Dietrich Mateschitz,” said Technical Director Adrian Newey.

“We could have taken an experienced driver, somebody guaranteed to deliver to a relatively known level, or equally we could take on a much younger driver in the hope that they’ll develop to a very high level. We looked at the latter option and concluded that of the younger drivers, Daniel is the most promising.

“From Red Bull’s point of view that also fits well because the driver that Christian and I feel is the most promising is part of the Red Bull young driver programme. The decision actually reminded me a little bit of a similar situation we had when I was at Williams. Nigel Mansell was leaving and we needed someone alongside Alain Prost. We could stick with Riccardo Patrese or take a punt on a young driver called Damon Hill who was our test driver at the time.

“I think it’s good to bring young blood in and give promising drivers a chance.”

VIDEO: Daniel Ricciardo speaks about the announcement

VIDEO: Christian Horner talks about the Daniel Ricciardo decision

VIDEO: Adrian Newey speaks about the Ricciardo and 2014

Comments are closed.

Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.

Read the Speedcafe.com promise
Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast, and free!