HRT confirms new three-year Courtney deal
The Holden Racing Team has confirmed that James Courtney will continue to drive for the factory Holden squad for the next three seasons.
The team announced the deal in a press conference ahead of Race 23 at the Coates Hire Ipswich 360.
Courtney’s English-based manager Allan Gow had flown to the Queensland event to shore up his driver’s future.
Courtney joined the HRT as the reigning V8 Supercars champion in 2010, but has one just one race with the decorated factory squad to date.
“Over the last three years I’ve built a great relationship with everyone at the Holden Racing Team, its loyal army of fans and Holden,” Courtney said.
“We’re starting to get some good traction with the development of our new VF Commodores and to be able to continue with the team for another three years is fantastic.”
HRT team principal Steve Hallam stressed that re-signing Courtney had been the team’s priority.
“James was our first choice, and we worked hard on a satisfactory arrangement for him to stay at HRT,” Hallam said.
“James has been a contributor to our development program and we were very keen for him to continue. I’m sure we will achieve more success with him behind the wheel of an HRT Commodore.
“James has a great working relationship with Garth Tander; their combined feedback is a valued asset as shown by our progress this year.
“James’ commitment to HRT demonstrates he has great faith in our program and future direction and will inspire every member of the team.”
Courtney finished fifth in Race 22 of the V8 Supercars Championship at Ipswich on Saturday and currently sits ninth in the points standings.