Cal Crutchlow scores maiden MotoGP pole
Cal Crutchlow has claimed his first ever MotoGP pole during qualifying for this weekend’s round at Assen in the Netherlands.
Crutchlow and his Tech 3 Monster Yamaha headed Spain’s Marc Marquez with a stunning lap on his final attempt at the mark of a 1m34.398s lap.
German rider Stefan Bradl also achieved a personal milestone after qualifying third, and on the front row of the grid, for the first time in his young MotoGP career.
Another first saw two CRT bikes make their way to the third row of the grid with Aleix Espargaro in seventh and Randy de Puniet in ninth, respectively.
Dani Pedrosa crashed out with just six and a half minutes to go in Q2 after going quickest with a 1m35.006s lap. The current championship leader ended up qualifying fifth ahead of Brit Bradley smith
Valentino Rossi continues to impress as he qualified fourth for tomorrow’s race at Assen.
Reports that Jorge Lorenzo would compete in qualifying did not come to fruition however the reigning MotoGP Champion did return to the track to watch the session.
West Australian Bryan Staring qualified 19th aboard his Go&Fun Honda CRT bike.
Pos Rider Time
1. Cal Crutchlow – 1m34.398s
2. Marc Marquez – 1m34.755s
3. Stefan Bradl – 1m34.878s
4. Valentino Rossi – 1m34.974s
5. Dani Pedrosa – 1m35.006s
6. Bradley Smith – 1m35.454s
7. Aleix Espargaro – 1m35.500s
8. Alvaro Bautista – 1m35.508s
9. Randy de Puniet – 1m35.622s
10. Nicky Hayden – 1m35.908s
11. Michele Pirro – 1m36.866s
12. Jorge Lorenzo – no time
13. Andrea Iannone – 1m36.432s
14. Hector Barbera – 1m36.490s
15. Andrea Dovizioso – 1m36.524s
16. Danilo Petrucci – 1m36.695s
17. Karel Abraham – 1m36.791s
18. Colin Edwards – 1m37.143s
19. Bryan Staring – 1m37.315s
20. Claudio Corti – 1m37.625s
21. Yonny Hernandez – 1m37.781s
22. Michael Laverty – 1m38.378s
23. Lukas Pesek – 1m38.704s
24. Ivan Silva – 1m39.077s