Vettel sets pole as Bottas stuns Canada
Sebastian Vettel will start the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix from the Pole Position after a wet qualifying session in Montreal, but all of the talk has been around Valtteri Bottas who was third quickest for Williams-Renault in the third and final session.
Splitting the German and Finn was Mercedes-AMG pilot, Lewis Hamilton whilst last round winner, Nico Rosberg was fourth quickest with Australian Mark Webber fifth best.
He was followed by practice pace man Fernando Alonso, Jean-Eric Vergne, Adrian Sutil, Kimi Raikkonen and Perth’s Daniel Ricciardo rounding out the top 10.
Neither McLaren made the final round of qualifying, their horrible season continuing with Sergio Perez in 12th outpacing Jenson Button’s 14th.
The major incident of the session occurred in Q2 when Felipe Massa speared into the barriers completely under his own steam.
Friday’s early pace-setter, Paul Di Resta had a shocker for Force India, failing to advance from the opening qualification session.
Giedo Van de Garde’s awful season for Caterham continued with him qualifying slowest of all.
CANADIAN GRAND PRIX GRID:
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m25.425s
2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m25.512s + 0.087s
3. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1m25.897s + 0.472s
4. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m26.008s + 0.583s
5. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m26.208s + 0.783s
6. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m26.504s + 1.079s
7. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m26.543s + 1.118s
8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m27.348s + 1.923s
9. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m27.432s + 2.007s
10. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m27.946s + 2.521s
11. Nico Hulkenberg Sauber-Ferrari 1m29.435s + 1.786s
12. Sergio Perez McLaren-Mercedes 1m29.761s + 2.112s
13. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m29.917s + 2.268s
14. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m30.068s + 2.419s
15. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1m30.315s + 2.666s
16. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m30.354s + 2.705s
17. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m24.908s + 2.590
18. Charles Pic Caterham-Renault 1m25.626s + 3.308
19. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m25.716s + 3.398
20. Jules Bianchi Marussia-Cosworth 1m26.508s + 4.190
21. Max Chilton Marussia-Cosworth 1m27.062s + 4.744
22. Giedo van der Garde Caterham-Renault 1m27.110s + 4.792