John Martin has increased his championship lead in Superleague Formula with a strong weekend at Zolder, Belgium.
The 27-year-old Queenslander, driving the Australia entry in the football-inspired series, won Race 2, finishing second in the Super Final and seventh in Race 1. The results have moved the entry 22 points clear on the top of the table.
Martin was thrilled with the result.
“The entire weekend went well for us. We have been fast since Friday. I made a small mistake in qualifying, but the races were almost perfect, so I can’t complain too much,” he said.
“Overall, to be on the Super Final podium, win Race 2 and extend our championship lead is great.”
While Martin was pleased to point his stamp on the championship, the big payday went to Luxembourg’s Frederic Vervisch who won Superleague Formula’s weekend-closing Superfinal, triumphing in a close encounter and netting himself a cool €100,000.
Round 3 of Superleague Formula is at Goiania, Brazil on October 8-9.
Championship Points after Round 2
1) John Martin (Australia) 158
2) Robert Doornbos (Japan) 136
3) Frederic Vervisch (Luxembourg) 134
4) Yelmer Buurman (Netherlands-PSV Eindhoven) 130
5) Neel Jani (Belgium-RSC Anderlecht) 125
6) Craig Dolby (England) 124
7) Chris van der Drift (New Zealand) 113
8) Antonio Pizzonia (Brazil) 102
9) Filip Salaquarda (Czech Republic-Sparta Praha)
95 10) Duncan Tappy (Turkey-Galatasaray) 88
11) Max Wissel (South Korea) 71
12) Mikhail Aleshin (Russia) 56
13) Tristan Gommendy (France-Girondins de Bordeaux) 52
14) Ho-Pin Tung (China) 34
15) Andy Soucek (Spain-Atletico de Madrid) 28