V8 Supercars has confirmed that returning to Tasmania’s Symmons Plains Raceway next year is highly unlikely following the withdrawal of support from the local government.
CLICK HERE for Speedcafe.com’s earlier news story
While stressing the category’s willingness to remain open to future discussions regarding a Tasmanian event, V8 Supercars chief operating officer Shane Howard says that the government’s request to break the three-year funding agreement after the 2011 event will make returning unviable.
“Right now returning beyond 2011 would appear an unlikely scenario but we will maintain an open line of communication,” said Howard in a V8 Supercars statement.
“Without the Government’s assistance in transporting our cars and equipment across to Tasmania the economic reality of the Symmons Plains event is that it is not commercially viable.”
The Falken Tasmania Challenge is currently one of nine V8 Supercars race meeting promoted by the category’s own V8 Supercars Events business.
Tasmania, the birthplace of former V8 Supercars champions John Bowe and Marcos Ambrose, has a rich motorsport heritage.
The V8 Supercars drew a crowd of approximately 60,000 over three days at Symmons Plains last year.
“Should this be the final year we of course would be disappointed for our legion of fans in Tasmania and hope that they understand this difficult position,” said Howard.
This year’s Falken Tasmania Challenge at Symmons Plains will take place on the November 11-13 weekend.