Reed takes second in AMA Supercross
Australian Chad Reed has ended his first AMA Supercross season as a team owner/rider in second place after victory at Las Vegas Sam Boyd Stadium.
The TwoTwo Motorsports/BelRay Racing’s finished season with the win, making it 11 podiums for the season, including two wins. It was a series that had everything – five different series leaders, six riders stood on the top step of the dais and four riders vying for the title coming into the final round.
In the end just four points separated Reed and eventual series Champion Ryan Villapoto. “We gave it all we had,” Reed said.
“I feel totally blessed this season. Congrats to Ryan. He earned (the championship). He had the most wins this season and to come back from what he went through last year, he has my respect. We did all we can and sometimes, you come up short.
“The last race certainly lived up to the hype of the whole season but we came into this round behind the eight ball and it was a long shot. All I could do was try and win the race.
“Just making the start line in January was a massive achievement so really, to be in a position where we have had the speed to compete for the title up to the very last round was pretty special and I can’t thank my team enough.”
In the Las Vegas race, Reed beat Ryan Dungey, Villopoto, Chris Blose and Andrew Short.
Earlier in the evening, Reed was awarded the Bret Michaels ‘Rock Hard-Ride Hard’ Award which honours the hardest charging, comeback Supercross rider who ultimately proves to push the limits in a quest towards winning the Monster Energy Supercross championship.
Monster Energy AMA Supercross Season Standings
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 338
2. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 334
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 328
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 301
5. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 255
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 230
7. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 207
8. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha – 180
9. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 155
10. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Yamaha – 152