Johnson wins record fifth NASCAR crown
Jimmie Johnson has reset his own NASCAR Sprint Cup record, taking his fifth-consecutive title with a second-place finish at Homestead today.
Despite some pit stop problems, Johnson finished behind Carl Edwards in the season finale to clinch an amazing fifth crown.
He celebrated on the podium with his wife and daughter, and despite nearly dropping the trophy, was a happy winner.
The Hendricks Motorsport driver entered the deciding race trailing Denny Hamlin in the points race, but an early tangle with Greg Biffle, followed by a pit stop for a deflating tyre cost him. The Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota driver could only manage 14th.
Kevin Harvick also had a shot at beating Johnson, but he trailed Johnson home to third place – not enough to spoil Johnson’s history-making race.
Australian driver Marcos Ambrose finished 26th in the race. It was his last race for JTG Daughterty Racing.
Ford 400- Homestead-Miami Speedway
1. Carl Edwards (Ford)
2. Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
3. Kevin Harvick (Chevrolet)
4. Aric Almirola (Ford)
5. A.J. Allmendinger (Ford)
6. Kasey Kahne (Toyota)
7. Ryan Newman (Chevrolet)
8. Tony Stewart (Chevrolet)
9. Matt Kenseth (Ford)
10. Greg Biffle (Ford)
26. Marcos Ambrose (Toyota)
Final NASCAR Sprint Cup Standings (after race 36 of 36)
1. Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)- 6622 points
2. Kevin Harvick (Chevrolet)- 6586
3. Denny Hamlin (Toyota)- 6583
4. Carl Edwards (Ford)- 6393
5. Matt Kenseth (Ford)- 6294
6. Greg Biffle (Ford)- 6247
7. Tony Stewart (Chevrolet)- 6221
8. Kyle Busch (Toyota)- 6182
9. Jeff Gordon (Chevrolet)- 6176
10. Clint Bowyer (Chevrolet)- 6155
11. Kurt Busch (Dodge)- 6142
12. Jeff Burton (Chevrolet)- 6033
26. Marcos Ambrose (Toyota)- 3422