Red Bull Racing drivers Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel have met with key team members to clear the air on the pair’s controversial incident at last week’s Turkish Grand Prix.
Team principal Christian Horner, technical director Adrian Newey and Red Bull’s motorsport manager Dr Helmut Marko sat down with Webber and Vettel at the Red Bull Racing factory today in Milton Keynes, UK, to ‘draw a line’ under the incident that happened on lap 40 at the Istanbul circuit.
The Red Bull Racing team issued the following quotes with the attached picture of Vettel and Webber captioned ‘Shit Happens.’
Vettel said in the statement that that the pair are racers, but admitted they need to move forward from the incident.
“The team had got us into a great position and it wasn’t good for them what happened – so I’m sorry for them that we lost the lead of the race,” said Vettel.
“Mark and I are racers and we were racing. We are professionals and it won’t change how we will work together going forward. We have a great team and the spirit is very strong. I’m looking forward to Canada.”
Webber, currently leading the world title, said they will ensure a similar incident doesn’t happen again.
“It’s a shame for the team, as we lost a good opportunity to win the race. It’s sport and these things can happen, but it shouldn’t have done,” said Webber.
“I feel for everyone at Red Bull, at the factory and everyone involved. Seb and I will make sure it doesn’t happen again and will continue to work openly together, no problem. We have talked enough on it now, it’s done, we’re looking ahead and I’m focused on the race in Canada next week.”
The next round of the Formula One World Championship will be held at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 13.