McConville tops P1 time sheets in Sydney
Retiring driver Cameron McConville has set the fastest time, and also been was one of the first casualties, in the opening practice session at the Sydney Telstra 500 around the all-new Homebush Olympic precinct.
The session was reserved for cars outside the top-15 in the championship and it was the IRWIN Racing Ford of Alex Davison who had the honour of leading the field out on the first official timed laps of the track.
McConville set his fastest time on lap #12, then clipped the outside wall at Turn #8 and damaged the suspension of the WOW Racing Commodore. He was not the only driver to make an error, Jack Perkins completed just two laps before hitting the concrete and damaging the diff housing on his Dodo Racing Commodore. His car was pushed back behind the pit area and into the unique indoor garage area for repairs.
Session #2 has been delayed as officials inspect the circuit, in particular kerbs in the chicane and other resurfaced areas.
V8 SUPERCARS – Practice Part A
1. #14 Cameron McConville 1:31.5698
2. #24 David Reynolds 1:31.7378
3. #7 Todd Kelly 1:32.1151
4. #51 Greg Murphy 1:32.3096
5. #333 Michael Patrizi 1:32.5237
6. #25 Jason Bright 1:32.5371
7. #111 Fabian Coulthard 1:32.5472
8. #55 Tony D’Alberto 1:32.7522
9. #3 Jason Bargwanna 1:32.8934
10. #67 Tim Slade 1:32.9416
11. #4 Alex Davison 1:33.5048
12. #12 Dean Fiore 1:34.5375
13. #16 Mark McNally 1:34.8924
14. #11 Jack Perkins 1:37.2702