Johann Zarco re-signs with Tech 3

Dan Herrero

Friday 19th May, 2017 - 9:44am

Share:

Johann Zarco

Johann Zarco has been signed again to the Tech 3 Yamaha MotoGP team for the 2018 season.

Zarco has impressed so far in the premier class, running as both the highest-placed rookie and top independent rider in sixth in the world standings.

The Frenchman sensationally led his first ever MotoGP race at Qatar and was pulling away from the field before crashing out on Lap 7.

Zarco’s is the best start to a rookie season in the premier class since Marc Marquez won the 2013 championship for the factory Honda team.

“I am very happy to know that I will continue my MotoGP experience with Monster Yamaha Tech3 in 2018,” said the 2015 and 2016 Moto2 champion.

“At the moment, I am enjoying an amazing debut in this category where I have learnt a huge amount, and the team have now given me the confidence for next year, which is just fantastic.

“In 2018, the rules won’t change and I will have an entire year of experience so this will certainly help me to get to the top.”

Team principal Herve Poncharal, who has given several riders their starts in MotoGP, was enthusiastic in his praise for the 26-year-old.

“This news is incredibly good for me and the entire Monster Yamaha Tech3 team but it is also positive for MotoGP racing worldwide and especially in France,” said Poncharal.

“Perhaps he could have waited a bit longer to make this decision, but he told me that he is happy and ready to commit himself to us.

“We are very proud to have that sort of confidence from Johann.”

Zarco’s home grand prix in Le Mans takes place this weekend, with opening practice starting this evening (AEST).