Dale Wood secures two-year Erebus deal

Friday 25th November, 2016 - 6:00am

Share:

Dale Wood

Dale Wood

Another piece in the 2017 Supercars grid puzzle has been locked in, with Dale Wood set to move from Nissan to Erebus Motorsport.

Out of a ride after being replaced by Simona de Silvestro at Nissan, Wood has secured a two-year deal with the Betty Klimenko owned Erebus.

He will step into the #4 Holden that has been driven in the second half of this season by Shae Davies, who is expected to step back to the Dunlop Series.

Wood won the Dunlop Series in 2013 and has spent the last three seasons in the main game, two at Brad Jones Racing before moving to Nissan this season.

The 33-year-old found it tough going at BJR and Nissan has proven no different, currently sitting 22nd in points with just two top 10 finishes all season.

Wood, who will bring significant sponsorship backing to Erebus, hopes that linking with David Reynolds at Erebus can lift his stocks.

“I am really excited to be joining Erebus Motorsport and being part of a smaller, tight-knit team,” Wood said.

“I’m particularly excited about being partnered with Dave; we are both like-minded characters with a similar sense of humour, so I think the garage will be very upbeat.

“Dave will also be a huge challenge and I’ve got a lot to learn; there’s been so many instances this year I’ve watched some of the laps he’s done and he’s done a standout job.

“I’ve never had the opportunity to come into a team and know I’m there long-term,” he added of signing for two years.

“A year in this game goes pretty quickly and it is tough doing it year by year, so it will be really nice to be in a place now where I have some continuity and can build on my relationship with the team.”

Stressing Wood’s credentials in previous categories, Erebus general manager Barry Ryan says that the driver is yet to show his best in the main game.

“I’ve known Dale since his days in Formula Ford, and he has always been a competitive driver in every category he has raced,” said Ryan, who previously worked with Wood at Kelly Racing.

“Winning the Development Series title in 2013 was just an example and since then he has been in teams in a third or fourth car, which has its own issues.

“Having an experienced driver like Dale work with and push Dave is exactly what we need to move forward as a team.

“Dale will surprise many in 2017 and will bring a great personality to the team, much like Dave, and this is just as important as their ability to drive.”

Wood’s deal at Erebus comes as a blow to Dunlop Series front-runner Jack Le Brocq, who had also been in contention for the seat.

Le Brocq had earlier been touted as a possibility to slot into Prodrive, whose fourth seat has subsequently been filled by Jason Bright.