Toro Rosso retains Daniil Kvyat for 2017

Speedcafe.com

Sunday 23rd October, 2016 - 8:19am

Share:

Daniil Kvyat

Daniil Kvyat

Toro Rosso has confirmed Daniil Kvyat will remain at the Red Bull sister outfit next season.

The Russian returned to Toro Rosso midway through the season after Red Bull dumped the  22-year-old in favour of Max Verstappen from the Spanish Grand Prix in May.

Despite indifferent form since rejoining the the team he made his Formula 1 debut in 2014, Kvyat had emerged as a potential target for Force India and Renault.

However, Toro Rosso has moved to secure the driver’s services for 2017 alongside the already confirmed Carlos Sainz.

Kvyat has welcomed the news thanking the team for sticking with him after a turbulent campaign.

“I’d like to thank Red Bull, Dr. Marko and all the team for their support and the faith they have shown in me since I returned to the team earlier this year,” said Kvyat.

“I’m very happy to stay with a team that feels like home to me. I’m really looking forward to continuing the hard work together in 2017 and I’m really aiming high.

“I will always be fully dedicated, giving my 200 percent’, and I will be pushing as hard as I usually do, that’s for sure. I’m delighted.”

Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost is pleased to field an unchanged driver-line up for 2017 which will see the sport undertake a new technical package, including increased aero and wider tyres.

“It makes a change to announce our driver line-up relatively early,” he said.

“There are so many new elements coming to Formula 1 in general and to our team specifically, in terms of the change of power unit supplier, that having the same two drivers gives us stability and a benchmark to work from.

“For Carlos, it will be his third year with us, which speaks volumes when it comes to how highly we rate him. In recent races, it has been clear that Daniil is back on top form.

“I always told him that his future with us was in his hands and he has stepped up to the mark and delivered the sort of performances that have ensured his 2017 seat in the STR12.

“We now have a very talented and strong driver pairing to tackle a season in which we expect to be very competitive.”